insurance can be a real killer

dee87

i only got my first vrs a month ago, iots been really nice other than the insurance. i study in budapest and need the european cover. with it and the normal insurance i have to fork out nearly £2200. thats too much for most students to pay for insurance.

can anybody recommend any ways to get it down or anthing, because if not i might have to sell.

please help il be back in england next weekend and need to try and sort something out by then.

thanks.

Edited by BigW
Removed possible non FREEDOM advertising.

How often do you drive it to Hungary? Would it be cheaper to fly?

I'd say get it insured on a normal UK policy, and just leave it here when you go over to Budapest.

Or visa versa, and get it registered in Hungary, and get a Hungarian insurance policy, and leave the car there.

£2200 insurance is crazy for a car that worth little more than that. Look on Autotrader for similar cars if you want a rough valuation.

I'm paying £470 and I wouldn't want to pay much more on this car.

im using the car there so thats why i take it out with me. in theory you can get it register there but its similar prices becasue they insure the car rather than the driver and its alot of hassle getting it done and with the police (they seem to take a liking to cars with the "cc" foreign plated cars.) 470 would be perfect for me lol.

im using the car there so thats why i take it out with me. in theory you can get it register there but its similar prices becasue they insure the car rather than the driver and its alot of hassle getting it done and with the police (they seem to take a liking to cars with the "cc" foreign plated cars.) 470 would be perfect for me lol.

Why not buy an old banger to use in Budapest and insure your car for UK use only.

From what I've seen, flights are cheaper than the petrol you must use driving between the two.

I'd chop it in for a diesel Octavia instead. You must be paying a fortune in fuel if you're driving it to Hungary and back several times a year not to mention the insurance.

Go for the cheapest, most low power diesel you can and also shop around with the insurance. Good luck :thumbup: