MPG 1.2 SE Manual - any ideas?

retro gal

Hi pinkpanther

Scuse my higgerance - but could you please translate?? OBC????? And ECU????? And 'flashed' (so long as it is polite!!)?

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry for my use of abbreviations.

I've calculated the fuel economy using the "brim to brim" method on every fill up and have noted a best of 35 mpg and a worst of 29 mpg. The OBC (on board computer) calculates a trip average and a long term average. The current long term average (calculated over 1100 miles) is 33 mpg, which seems about right given my own observations.

I took the car in to have a faulty rear reading light looked at a few weeks ago. Whilst it was in the workshop the dealership installed an update to the ECU (electronic control unit). They couldn't specifically tell me what it was for, apart from that it was an offical Skoda "campaign" designed to address an issue with the car. When they installed the update (flashed the ECU) the engine management light came on. This led to a 2 hour wait in the showroom while the techs called Skoda technical for advice. They eventually took the battery off for 1/2 hour and all has been well since.

Hope that makes things a little clearer !

As far as the fuel economy goes I think the 1.2 TSi drives like a much larger capacity engine, but unfortunately has the economy of a larger engine to go with it! For instance my wife test drove the car with no knowledge of the engine size and thought it was a bigger engine than her 1.6 Qashqai (115 BHP). The fuel economy is also remarkably similar (the QQ averaged 33.6 mpg over 2 years / 20K miles).

I'm still of the opinion however that this was the best option for us, as we have no need for 4WD and I'm yet to be convinced a DPF (even with a new CR) would stand up to predominantly urban use. I would ultimately have prefered a 1.8 TSi, but couldn't find the right car at the right time.

Edited by pinkpanther

I've read these posts with interest as a prospective purchaser of a Yeti 1.2 TSI. I currently run a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT ( 2 litre petrol turbo - basically an Impreza turbo on stilts and with the performance to prove it). Although my car is an auto (torque converter) and permanent 4WD I have achieved over 25,000 miles a worst mpg figure of 22.2 and a best of 32.5 (brim to brim). As I was looking at the 1.2 Yeti with a view to making significant savings on fuel I am somewhat surprised at the relatively poor figures of pinkpanther of 29 and 35 respectively as this would not lead to huge savings over 10,000 miles, bearing in mind the cost of purchase. Presumably the 1.8 TSI could be worse than my Forester!

I've read these posts with interest as a prospective purchaser of a Yeti 1.2 TSI. I currently run a Subaru Forester 2.0 XT ( 2 litre petrol turbo - basically an Impreza turbo on stilts and with the performance to prove it). Although my car is an auto (torque converter) and permanent 4WD I have achieved over 25,000 miles a worst mpg figure of 22.2 and a best of 32.5 (brim to brim). As I was looking at the 1.2 Yeti with a view to making significant savings on fuel I am somewhat surprised at the relatively poor figures of pinkpanther of 29 and 35 respectively as this would not lead to huge savings over 10,000 miles, bearing in mind the cost of purchase. Presumably the 1.8 TSI could be worse than my Forester!

George, there are a number of owners on this forum who say that they are regularly achieving 40+mpg from their 1.2 TSI Yetis. I will let you know what I get after I've picked mine up but the best thing to do is take one for a run and see how it reacts to your driving style.

Hi my 1.2tsi was only showing 28-32mpg when it was new but now with over 2k on the clock doing 5-10mile runs it will show between 38-44mpg depending the daily hold up on the 281. I tend to drive with a high gear and very low revs the 1.2tsi takes this in its stride and when you need to get going just drop a gear and it gives you loads of power the gear change display on the obc is very good for getting you to change up when you would normally wait a bit longer i know you would not be disappointed

wakev

Edited by wakev

Presumably the 1.8 TSI could be worse than my Forester!

My Yeti 1.8TSi has an avarage of 35mpg over the last last 5000km. This is mostly small trips (80%).

-- and measured with maxidot! (not accurate, I know!!)

I'm one of them...

Weaver, can you please give us details about your mileage and nature of your trips, i mean on which way you succeed to manage 40+MPG average consumption.

By the way, my 1.2 tsi has 1400 km, (~900 miles) with 35 MPG for this mileage, but i feel that engine begins with increasing MPG. Tomorrow i will go on a longer trip, so i will have fresh info about consumption

Weaver, can you please give us details about your mileage and nature of your trips, i mean on which way you succeed to manage 40+MPG average consumption.

By the way, my 1.2 tsi has 1400 km, (~900 miles) with 35 MPG for this mileage, but i feel that engine begins with increasing MPG. Tomorrow i will go on a longer trip, so i will have fresh info about consumption

Engine has now done just short of 3000 miles and the long term average (according to the computer) has been edging closer to 40mpg, at present it's hovering around 39 and a bit.

My journey to work is around 10 miles of up and down rural roads - the ups and downs being 16% in places. No stop start traffic, but plenty of coming down to 2nd gear, and also one stretch at 50/60 mph.

On the way in I generally get just short of 40, on the way back around 44/45. I put this down to length of gradient as on a bike I am consistently 10 minutes quicker on the way home than the way in.

With passengers on short journeys it comes down to around 35, on longer journeys 40+ is quite usual if speed is mainly below 60, over that and it starts to drop.

Although it's a fun car to drive enthusiastically, I think it's also a very pleasurable vehicle to drive on low revs - it's amazing how little you can actually get away with.

Edited by weaver

Engine has now done just short of 3000 miles and the long term average (according to the computer) has been edging closer to 40mpg, at present it's hovering around 39 and a bit.

My journey to work is around 10 miles of up and down rural roads - the ups and downs being 16% in places. No stop start traffic, but plenty of coming down to 2nd gear, and also one stretch at 50/60 mph.

On the way in I generally get just short of 40, on the way back around 44/45. I put this down to length of gradient as on a bike I am consistently 10 minutes quicker on the way home than the way in.

With passengers on short journeys it comes down to around 35, on longer journeys 40+ is quite usual if speed is mainly below 60, over that and it starts to drop.

Although it's a fun car to drive enthusiastically, I think it's also a very pleasurable vehicle to drive on low revs - it's amazing how little you can actually get away with.

Today i pass 300 km (~200 miles) and succeed to manage 41 mpg! Trip was combined on motorway (with speed mainly 75 mph but on some periods 85 ), A roads (speed between 55-60 mph) and little urban driving

So, after 1000 miles, improvement of consumption is noticeable.

Picked up my new 1.2 TSI Yeti today and have driven approx 140 miles. Engine obviously still very new but according to the trip computer I averaged 42.2 mpg on my way home from Surrey to Worcestershire. Mainly motorway driving but a mixture of speeds. Will post more findings after more use........

Picked up my new 1.2 TSI Yeti today and have driven approx 140 miles. Engine obviously still very new but according to the trip computer I averaged 42.2 mpg on my way home from Surrey to Worcestershire. Mainly motorway driving but a mixture of speeds. Will post more findings after more use........

the wait is over shrub now enjoy. I am still enjoying mine after 2k+ just been out with friends in a new BMW much prefer the snow monster better seating more space less road noise. BMW £25000 YETI £16000 Y PAY MORE FOR LESS COMFORT

WAKEV

the wait is over shrub now enjoy. I am still enjoying mine after 2k+ just been out with friends in a new BMW much prefer the snow monster better seating more space less road noise. BMW £25000 YETI £16000 Y PAY MORE FOR LESS COMFORT

WAKEV

Thanks Wakev. The wait was tough but worth it. I'll try and get out with my camera later and post a couple of photos.......

We've just got back from a weekend in Cornwall, which included being stuck on the M5 going through Bristol for an hour on Friday, lots of motorway and then twisty Cornish lanes. Our car has now done 1200 miles and is averaging (according to the car) 42.1mpg.

The engine cruises wonderfully, (theoretically) 80mph at 2800rpm - compared to the Wife's previous car (1.2 Micra) which did the same speed at nearer 4000rpm.

Greetings everyone, the first tankfull......Just filled up achieving 37mpg (fuel computer seems to be spot on too). 50% short cold runs and the remaining miles have been on rural roads. Pretty happy with that, I would guess that 40mpg+ is easily achievable on longer runs.

Mark

Greetings everyone, the first tankfull......Just filled up achieving 37mpg (fuel computer seems to be spot on too). 50% short cold runs and the remaining miles have been on rural roads. Pretty happy with that, I would guess that 40mpg+ is easily achievable on longer runs.

Mark

you will see around 40mpg + on short runs 5-10 miles when you get to 1k + mine regularly shows 39-44 depending on traffic jams and its still improving now done 2.5k

wakev

you will see around 40mpg + on short runs 5-10 miles when you get to 1k + mine regularly shows 39-44 depending on traffic jams and its still improving now done 2.5k

wakev

I'll be well happy with 40 mpg ! thanks.