superb engine code

skodanut

ive been looking for parts for my superb and according to some info......some say my engine code BSS is a 16v motor ! that cant be right surely.

i know the engine is smooth......but im sure its an 8 valve 2.0 pd engine......i know its a pump deuse as it has the tank in the boot...any ideas? cheers

ive been looking for parts for my superb and according to some info......some say my engine code BSS is a 16v motor ! that cant be right surely.

i know the engine is smooth......but im sure its an 8 valve 2.0 pd engine......i know its a pump deuse as it has the tank in the boot...any ideas? cheers

Skoda Superb 140 BSS engine is PD 16 valve

i didnt know that !! didnt think skoda did 16valve engines on their superbs.......so now the question is......is it a better engine than the 8valve 2.0 tdi with the dpf and is it more likely to suffer the dpf issues compared to the 8 valve model?

Well I have a BSS and have experienced a few DPF problems, but nothing since the DPF sensor was changed last November. There is another thread on the site that states BSS is 8v but it seems that not even Skoda know! I always thought that the 2.0tdi was a bit of a bodge job of the 8v and 16v.

Is there any definitive info regarding this anywhere?

i'm going to see my local skoda dealership saturday and get them to find out what the BSS engine actually is !! I'm out of warranty and looking on the internet at certain motor factors, they quote the engine code BSS as a 16v engine.

Surely if it was the case, it would have a dohc set up in order to compress the valves...or have i got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

I was also thinking maybe the info given on the internet was meant for the new superb if they have the 16valves incorporated into the cylinder head.......come to think of it, my local dealer is selling a 140bhp superb mk2 and i might peek under the bonnet and see what the code is for that engine.

Knowing my luck, the code will probably read BSS :giggle:

Having read your thread greg, if only one knew how many 2.0 tdi mk 1 superbs skoda made, then maybe the info would be much clearer, and even find out if the earlier versions of the model had 8valves and the facelift 2006 onwards had the 16valve.....or even if the 16valve engines were even introdced into the superb range !!

While im in the dealer, i'll find out if they do a workshop manual just out of interest and get to the bottom of this, as its all very well using the passat workshop manual, but the information given is practically useless for getting infomation regarding my facelift mk1 superb.......regards andy

The 16 valve engines are twin cam. Just look at the top timing belt cover - it's much wider to cover 2 cam wheels.

I may be wrong, because I discounted the 16v engines at an early stage for my own use due to belt wrap and cam follower design problems, but I don't think the 16v head was ever fitted to the UK Mk1 PD Superb. Fitting a 16v head would have involved major changes to a defunct platform design.

You can't transfer engine codes between transverse (Mk 2) and inline (Mk 1) engines. The same basic engine will be different for each chassis application - mountings, flywheel, anciliaries position etc - so the codes will be different.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

well i agree with what you say roto...i also was looking for the double cam wheels despicting a 16valve engine, and i only have the single one so i'm assuming now its an 8valve engine....i cant see how the designers can squeeze another cam into the cylinder head complete with the hydraulic tappets and fuel pump and expect it to become a 16valve engine...unless there is another drive inside the head turning both cams via one larger cam wheel outside of the engine...but that would be out of the question because of the forces needed to turn both camshafts.

So i'm now thinking some of the web sites have got their information wrong and in fact the engine is a BSS 8valve jobby.

Still going to find out about a decent workshop manual tho.....cheers andy