Door mirror gone

bb150297

Hi all

On Wednesday I locked driver side door mirrors with another car whilst squeezing past a van. Not enough room. Other driver's right of way, my error, no complaint.

The other driver's mirror was undamaged and not wanting the hassle of dealing with insurance he just decided to leave it at that rather than swap details etc

My mirror basically destroyed. It was body coloured, electric and heated.

A couple of questions:

1) Is it likely to cost more to get it replaced myself or to go through insurance? I had a claim for a skid on the ice in January (which was my first ever in several years) so my no claims bonus will be pretty much wiped out by making a second claim. About how much would I be looking at if I went directly?

2) If I choose not to make a claim am I obliged to inform the insurance company and would the repair centre do so if I didn't? If I informed the insurance company, but did not claim would this have a similar impact on my premium to that of making a claim? I don't believe the other driver is likely to change his mind (and didn't appear to be scrutinising my vehicle's details), but could I get into trouble for non-disclosure if he does?

3) Is it legal to drive my car (at least to the repair centre - I don't intend using it for usual business until it's sorted).

Cheers

1) I wouldn't claim the insurance for such a minor thing - think even a stealer would only charge around a couple of hundred to fix. You'll likely have an excess to pay and you'll obviously pay more in insurance for a few years while you build your NCD up.

2) Strictly speaking you should tell your insurer but I wouldn't (and I work for an insurance company!) unless you think the other driver is going to claim against you (which appears highly unlikely). If you fix it yourself the insurer will be none the wiser and the garage certainly won't advise them (they won't even know who you're insured with anyway).

3) As far as I'm aware driving the car without a door mirror isn't illegal.

Edited to add: I've just done a quick piece of research on the legality of driving without a door mirror - the results weren't exactly conclusive but think you do need a door mirror to be strictly legit. However, it's highly unlikely that John Law would bother stopping you for something so minor and if they do I'd just tell them you're on your way to get it fixed (which might not work if you get stopped at 11pm ;) ).

Edited by Wee Bri

if it the drivers door mirror then driving the car would be illegal as you have to have, at least the drivers door mirror and the rea view mirro. If it's the passenger one then it doesn't matter. There was a guy selling parts off a vrs ( i think they are the mirrors) I enquired about the mirror and he said £65. Then its just a matter of going to the dearller to get spray paint and spraying it up. Thats what i dai. Some idiot hit my mirror an destroyed the cover. I just fiberglassed it up!! Looks good as new!