When is a service not a service?

Just had a 40K service done on my 3 year old Roomster. Had the MOT done the previous week & the tester noted an imbalance in the brakes on the front. Just inside the allowance for the MOT. Asked the dealer doing the service to look at the brakes specifically when I booked the service & again when I dropped it off. Asked them to do whatever work was needed to cure the problem (sticky calliper?) I got a phone call to say the service was complete at lunchtime. I asked about the brakes, they said the pads were uneven & about 70% worn with uneven wear on the discs. I asked them if they could fit new pads & discs but the guy said they didn't have any parts it! It's out of warranty in 3 weeks so I guess Mr Skoda dealer won't be getting my money this time

the genuine pads are not bad at about £38, including the anti rattle clips and new caliper securing bolts, doddle to fit 2 x 12mm bolts, caliper slides out swap the pads and clips all back together, about 20 minutes per side (can be fun retracting the piston if you don't have a tool)

note only the inboard passenger side pad has a wear sensor on it

disk don't know cost, but a single screw holds them in place until wheel nuts go through them, but mine were stuck on the hub solid when i did my pads, did not have a copper or nylon mallet to provide the require persuassion i think it would need and was only going to have a closer look at them for wear so did it on the car

peter

i had to order the pads for mine, they were not stock items for some reason, and they insisted on chassis numbers for everything i order as well, reg is no longer an option??

peter

They need the vin because a reg number can change in a cars life whereas the vin is always fixed. ETKA the parts ordering system optionally requires the VIN, if the VIN is supplied then only parts fitted to your car are displayed.

They did the service that it was booked in for, so your only concern is that they didn't have the parts in stock to sort out the brakes. There's also the possibility that they could have already over sold the workshop hours for that day, and wouldn't have been able to do any additional work, even if they had the parts.

The problem that was reported with the brakes will as likely be a wear and tear matter, therefore not covered under the warranty. Skoda service schedules do not require the brake pads/carriers to be removed, cleaned and greased which would prevent this problem, so the money you save on previous services plus some more is taken off you later when you need the pads & discs replaced.

If you had thought about it, reporting the problem as a brake judder is likely to get a more favourable warranty outcome, as Skoda can't really quibble when the pads are replaced as a matter of course with the discs.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want it done under warranty, I used the brakes & wore the pads out no problem. I just wanted the parts changed during the service, that is what I asked them to do. i told them there was a problem in the first place. I have ended up having to book a second visit to a different garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a comment:- Irrespective of the car I am driving, my pads and discs always last for years. Quite simply this is because I don't brake unless I absolutely have to. It amuses me no end to have others rush past me coming up to roundabouts and traffic lights and watch them slam their brakes on as I begin to approach them at a slower speed. My style means I get a lot more out of my tyres too - usually around 30k.

Here here, couldn't agree with you more , i think every one needs to ride a motorbike or bike first and then see what happens when you brake heavy on a downhill steep bend. Never overtaken like that when i had my motor bike, but on my bike i am doing 30 mph on a moderate corner downhill and some plonker comes flying past and actually starts to brake and move over when they are alongside never mind past. .The most mileage any of my cars was a tipo 1.9 diesel which had 89000 miles when i sold it to my mate, when it was serviced and mot 2 months later it had only used 45% of original brake pads!

ride a motorbike or bike first and then see what happens when you brake heavy on a downhill steep bend.

Or coming up to a set of lights where some guy with an old car and old petrol engine has dripped engine oil all over the road...

• 2 months later...

Got the job done by a local garage as the car is now out of warranty, less than £100 including parts. One calliper was sticking a little which is what the MOT picked up hence the slight wear to one side. Pads these days are more abrasive since they took the Asbestos out hence the damage th the discs. I used to have access to a good lathe in a former job, alas no more. I drive in town quite a bit & tow a trailer tent at the weekends. My experience with my last 2 cars has been complete new brakes at around 3 years / 35 000 miles so I was expecting it.

Steve.