2010 Octavia Scout

Hi all,

Anyone has the new scout? How's the ride compared to normal octavia estate or 4x4?

Been eying the Yeti and went and saw it today, but the boot with the spare wheel is tiny, so i jumped into a normal Octy Estate and it's huge.

Also i know that Octy was refreshed recently, but when is the totally new model gona come up, in a few years?

Cheers.

Test drove a Scout recently, thought the ride was a little less settled than my Octy hatch but simmilar to the Yeti I test drove (all 2.0TDi's). I've heard the std 4x4 is slightly less bouncy than the Scout due to the shorter travel. Hope so as thats what I ended up ordering. Like yourself I thought the boot in the Yeti with a spare wheel was tiny compared to the Octy. OHA said no way we could fit all our stuff in it!

Lee

Thanks for reaply.

Yes no chance to put the baby pushchairand couple of large bags on Yeti.

Do you know is the Haldex the 4'th generation as on Yeti?

Cheers.

Test drove a Scout recently, thought the ride was a little less settled than my Octy hatch but simmilar to the Yeti I test drove (all 2.0TDi's). I've heard the std 4x4 is slightly less bouncy than the Scout due to the shorter travel. Hope so as thats what I ended up ordering. Like yourself I thought the boot in the Yeti with a spare wheel was tiny compared to the Octy. OHA said no way we could fit all our stuff in it!

Lee

Do you know is the Haldex the 4'th generation as on Yeti?

Yes it is on FL Scouts and 4x4's. Pre FL it was Haldex 2. Think the Scout platform, transmision and suspension is very simmilar to the Yeti

Lee

Yes it is on FL Scouts and 4x4's. Pre FL it was Haldex 2. Think the Scout platform, transmision and suspension is very simmilar to the Yeti

Lee

Thanks. I'll drop tomorrow to the dealer. Price wise it's same as Yeti model i was looking witht the 1.8TSi.

Cheers.

I've got a pre-FL '08 Scout and I am more than happy with it so far (and so is my wife after driving it in some horrible conditions this winter - we still had a snowfall last week). It's not as quick as the previous 2.0 tdi we had but still shifts enough for me and the the suspension is noticeably different but it is excellent all round for driving and very roomy. Ours is black and as we live in a rural area I find that cleaning it has become a near full time job though it does look good for about an hour - about the time it takes me to put all the stuff away. Fuel consumption is around 42- 43 mpg so nowhere near as good as the standard estate . However we bought it to tow a caravan (which I haven't got until next week) and wanted the torque, occasional 4wd and cruise control.

Hi Folks

Took delivery of our new Octy Scout 1.8tsi on Monday. It replaced our previous dear old Octy 4x4, which we bought new in 2001 and which had carried us over 112,000 miles.

I've only driven the new car about 100 miles to date, and I'm being very gentle with it initially (because I want it to last as long as the previous Octy!).

It feels bigger and more imposing than the old car. It's quieter on the motorway, dispite being 'taller'. In fact I find the ride is very comfortable.

Not as firm as the old car maybe, but it seems equally as capable around bends, and especially roundabouts, so far.

The six-speed gearbox (the old car was 5) is very 'slick' and reduces the engine revs, and hopefully the fuel consumption in due course, but, now there is more choice, it's requiring me to concentrate to decide which is the 'right' gear for each situation. The car actually suggests a gear, but I think its over-confident of low-rev 'grunt' up hill (and we have a lot of hills) so I'm sticking to my guns. The audio system is very good.

Unlocking the passenger doors was a bit of a mystery until I worked out that it needs two presses of the key pad: one press only will open the drivers door. If the key pad is held down for several seconds then all the windows will open! No more roasting in a sun-toasted car for me!!

So far, then, I love it. Should read the instructions I suppose, but it's great fun 'discovering'!!

Hi all,

Anyone has the new scout? How's the ride compared to normal octavia estate or 4x4?

Been eying the Yeti and went and saw it today, but the boot with the spare wheel is tiny, so i jumped into a normal Octy Estate and it's huge.

Also i know that Octy was refreshed recently, but when is the totally new model gona come up, in a few years?

Cheers.

Do the seats not move forward?

Hi Folks

Took delivery of our new Octy Scout 1.8tsi on Monday. It replaced our previous dear old Octy 4x4, which we bought new in 2001 and which had carried us over 112,000 miles.

I've only driven the new car about 100 miles to date, and I'm being very gentle with it initially (because I want it to last as long as the previous Octy!).

It feels bigger and more imposing than the old car. It's quieter on the motorway, dispite being 'taller'. In fact I find the ride is very comfortable.

Not as firm as the old car maybe, but it seems equally as capable around bends, and especially roundabouts, so far.

The six-speed gearbox (the old car was 5) is very 'slick' and reduces the engine revs, and hopefully the fuel consumption in due course, but, now there is more choice, it's requiring me to concentrate to decide which is the 'right' gear for each situation. The car actually suggests a gear, but I think its over-confident of low-rev 'grunt' up hill (and we have a lot of hills) so I'm sticking to my guns. The audio system is very good.

Unlocking the passenger doors was a bit of a mystery until I worked out that it needs two presses of the key pad: one press only will open the drivers door. If the key pad is held down for several seconds then all the windows will open! No more roasting in a sun-toasted car for me!!

So far, then, I love it. Should read the instructions I suppose, but it's great fun 'discovering'!!

Thanks a lot mate for a nice review. I don't mind soft suspensions as roads here are not so good, so i would rather have a comfy ride then higher speed in corners.

I'm going for 1.8TSi, as diesel is half-water here so less problems with petrol.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Do the seats not move forward?

Yes you can, but that would eat the passenger space and it didn't seem to expand the luggage space more then a few cm. Otherwise front and back there was enough space, just that boot was too small.

No DSG option ?

Not until mid-year, apparently.

I've had a 103TDi since January, which replaced an 04 Legacy Outback 2.5i (as you seem to call them in the UK). The Scout is only available as a diesel here in Australia.

I've had a clogged DPF (it mainly does short city trips, but I suspect dirty fuel too) and the gearing is very tall. But the handling is more taut than the Subaru, and the ride not too much rougher. I've done a couple of gravel road runs in it, and was very impressed, especially with the torque coming out of tight bends. It seems to fight understeer better than the Subaru too, although you can feel the slightest of pause as the Haldex hooks up in certain circumstances.

Kent