Superb 1 Gear Knob

Hi,

Anyone know where I might get a replacement gear knob insert for a superb elegance 06' online? The chrome has worn off and it looks really crappy now. The rest of the interior is bearing up very well after 50,000 with regular valeting. Doesn't seem to be many websites out there offering replacement interior parts. Will it be a main dealer parts counter job?

Hi,

Anyone know where I might get a replacement gear knob insert for a superb elegance 06' online? The chrome has worn off and it looks really crappy now. The rest of the interior is bearing up very well after 50,000 with regular valeting. Doesn't seem to be many websites out there offering replacement interior parts. Will it be a main dealer parts counter job?

When you say the chrome has worn off, do you mean the image of the gate is wearing away and has left the chrome looking a bit patchy? Mine was like this so, couldn't find a new one so I just kept on rubbing it until all the decal and adhesive came away, polished it up and now it looks like brand new, albeit without detail to show you where the gears are - who needs that anyway!

AFAIK you can't replace just the chrome badge, you have to replace the whole gear knob and gaitor, which is what I did and sourced the part for a reasonable price from your local Skoda Stealer......... :thumbup:

Mines doing the same, ive got half the chrome missing now. Every now and then a new bit of chrome flakes off and stabs me in the hand when im driving :p. Tempted to just rip the whole thing off and be left with the crappy white plastic underneath.

Ive been keeping an eye on eBay but never really found anything suitable, so probably a stealer job as Baker says.

• 3 weeks later...

On the same subject guys, I have an Elegance with Walnut effect details, which includes a "walnutty" cover on the automatic gear level... which has a crack horizontally right across (I dont know what happened, I bought it like that). Doesnt bother me too much, but as the car is near-mint everywhere else, thought about replacing this. IS this a dealer item, any idea of cost? I also plan on replacing the internal driver's door handle, which just turned a bit nasty with plastic peeling away, nasty job, and as I have to touch this every time I close the door, I find it positively annoying too! This will have to be replaced. Deffinitely.

On the same subject guys, I have an Elegance with Walnut effect details, which includes a "walnutty" cover on the automatic gear level... which has a crack horizontally right across (I dont know what happened, I bought it like that). Doesnt bother me too much, but as the car is near-mint everywhere else, thought about replacing this. IS this a dealer item, any idea of cost? I also plan on replacing the internal driver's door handle, which just turned a bit nasty with plastic peeling away, nasty job, and as I have to touch this every time I close the door, I find it positively annoying too! This will have to be replaced. Deffinitely.

As stated, you can only buy the complete gear knob and gaitor from the dealer, you can not buy seperate items................... :doh:

would the knobs that fit audis and veedubs fit a skoda superb? :wonder:

More than likely although it's the plastic surrounding base that you may struggle to fit to a non-skoda part.............. :doh:

• 5 months later...

Old post I know, but the dealer said sixy-eight quid for a replacement manual knob if anyone else is interested. I'll live with it for now. Thinking of changing car in the next 6 months anyways.

Old post I know, but the dealer said sixy-eight quid for a replacement manual knob if anyone else is interested. I'll live with it for now. Thinking of changing car in the next 6 months anyways.

Sounds like the prices have gone up then as I never played that much.......... :S

The subject of replacing the Tip gear lever has come up before.......... All the guts came adrift in the top of mine and I was afraid of getting stuck in 'P' or similar.

The walnut effect jobbie is around £135 - and fitting it is not to mess about with. Basically you destroy the lever getting it out and the new one fits in - then there is a plastic tag to pull out which enables the guts to engage. Get it wrong - and you're back to square one......................no 2nd chance

• 1 year later...

Have a 2005 Superb, the gear selector knob broke before and now yet again.

The knob should have a value of $0.03, but the dealer says. Sorry sir you have to buy the whole gear lever.

The first time the crappy knob broke the dealer just plugged in a new one at no cost.

Bought the car in another country, tried calling them, but they stopped with Skoda.

The new dealer offer me the complete gear lever at around $300.-

Any leads on getting just the plastic knob for the gear selector would be very welcome.

Am having moral issue with spending $300 for a $0.03 knobby.

Thanks in advance,

Hjalmar

1 out of 2 superb drivers in Lebanon!

The subject of replacing the Tip gear lever has come up before.......... All the guts came adrift in the top of mine and I was afraid of getting stuck in 'P' or similar.

The walnut effect jobbie is around £135 - and fitting it is not to mess about with. Basically you destroy the lever getting it out and the new one fits in - then there is a plastic tag to pull out which enables the guts to engage. Get it wrong - and you're back to square one......................no 2nd chance

I couldn't bring myself to hand over that much cash from the dealers. Had a similar issue on a friends Audi last year. Suggested he masked off the area with a big sheet of cardboard and tape, key the plastic gear knob with some fine grit sandpaper and spray it. He sprayed it with a chrome effect paint first time around and it looked terrible. he removed the paint straight away and re-sprayed it dark grey (the same as the interior of car) and it looked really well. Sealed it with some high quality lacquer and all has been well since. He says the finish hasn't suffered since day one.

I know it's effort, but the way the dealers treat customers here in the Uk means they'll get as little cash from me as possible.