engine undershield

the plastic shield underneath my engine seems to have cracked and dropped a couple of inch. it scrapes everytime i go over a speed ramp or i iam driving down a road with high ridge down the center. would this cost much to replace?. is it an easy job? is it important?

locate the split/broke bit, and pop-rivet some aluminium strips on to hold it in place..... I did that on mine after the ex-gf managed to break one of the sides.

Edited by mbames

It come in about 3 or 4 pieces. I did get a quote for the lot which came to a silly £100. The side bits are about £20 - 25 each if I remember rightly. I have not decided what to do yet but I was either going to rip it off and leave it off, or clean it up and repair it with fibre glass and put it back on. Its been scraping along for over a year now though so probably not much chance of repairing it now. Wishbone bushes need doing first and as I didn't win the lottery last night, the under tray will have to wait.

as i thought it dont seem too important. thanks for your replies. now i will have to decide weather to get a new one or just rip it off and forget about it. cheers

It can be important. We had a customer where a child went under their car, the under shield prevented serious injury by diverting it away from the hard points under the car.

So much for pedestrian safety by lowering speed limits, when the methods used to lower the speed limits destroy an item under the car that can prevent injury.

Mine was falling off because a piece had snapped off,

so I checked above it, so I could drill it, ie. not through anything,

like this guy... http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/14462-fi-light-need-help.html posts 1 -15 :rofl:

and put some self tapping screws in with a large washer to hold mine up.

Works a treat :thumbup:

Edited by Felicia racer

oopps, thats tough luck. as an electrician i am used to checking whats on the other side before drill things. so if i do go down that route dont wory i shall check. thanks. ;)

the most important bit is the small piece on the passenger side as that is where the air intake trumpet gets is cold air from, so best to make sure that one is still there to lessen the chances of water getting sucked into the airfilter. (also just happens to be the bit that is missing on mine :( )