Loud Pop/Bang loss of all power

Purac

Hi all.

Pulled out of a side road, changed into second, foot down a little, got to 2k revs, then all of a sudden, a loud POP and I lost all power.

I managed to drive it 200 yards into a side road, but could only manage speeds of 15 mph.

Recovery man came, asked me to rev it up whilst he looked around the engine bay, and felt for air leaks, but to no avail.

I know many people have posted before about a boost pipe popping off, i was wondering typically where this happens?

I have yet to take the under engine guard off, but even when i do whats the likely hood I will find a pipe not attached?

The first thing I did was check my rear view mirror when I heard the pop, and I couldn't see any smoke- as my initial instinct was blown Turbo.

I can still start it - drove onto pickup truck and off again onto drive.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated, got to go back down to Kent Sunday night for work - Please help!

Cheers Purac

Edited by Purac

Boost pipe has popped off.

Mine did a very similar thing 2 or 3 weeks ago. Ended up having it towed as it popped off at a very dangerous place (top of a hill). Skoda did it for me and got it back three days later (the 3 days was only because there was a job list as long as my arm of previous problems with the car).

Hi Lionel,

Hope you're well mate.

I'm no expert but it sounds like a boost pipe to me...

I've read on here it's so common that its worth having a couple of new

spare hose clips in the car as they don't fasten as tightly if they are re used.

Think they are quite cheap from the main dealer. You'll be back on the road before

you know it.... Bet you panicked though :o

I know I would have.. :D

It's usually the one attaching to the intercooler at the bottom - the pipe from the turbo. :) That's why he wouldn't have been able to feel a loose pipe as really you need to get in from underneath to re-attach it. :)

Thanks for every one's replies - Ill get out there this morning and have a look underneath.

Hi Lionel,Hope you're well mate.I'm no expert but it sounds like a boost pipe to me... I've read on here it's so common that its worth having a couple of newspare hose clips in the car as they don't fasten as tightly if they are re used.Think they are quite cheap from the main dealer. You'll be back on the road before you know it.... Bet you panicked though :oI know I would have.. :D

Hi Gaz, ye not too bad, yourself? I did yeah, I'm seriously considering replacing all pipes and hoses, the cost of not getting to work and recovery, not to mention replacement underwear, trousers and seat cleaning just isn't worth it!

Anyone know roughly how much I'm looking at for replacement pipe work?

Thanks for every one's replies - Ill get out there this morning and have a look underneath.

Hi Gaz, ye not too bad, yourself? I did yeah, I'm seriously considering replacing all pipes and hoses, the cost of not getting to work and recovery, not to mention replacement underwear, trousers and seat cleaning just isn't worth it!

Anyone know roughly how much I'm looking at for replacement pipe work?

http://ibizaoc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=2100&start=0

Id imagine similar prices could be done to run to the SMIC.

My wifes cousin bought a Fabia Vrs recently 45,000 miles 2004 reg, and he lost power in the same way as described by the OP, initially he says there was no smoke, but he carried on driving it and now he says there is black smoke coming out the back end too! The garage have told him he needs a new oil filter and turbo and its gonna cost him £1,500!!! Thats seems steep to me and also could driving the car with a boost pip off cause the turbo to blow?

Any help appreciated as he may have to sell it if he is facing a £1,500 bill.

You'll get black smoke with a boost pipe off above 1900rpm, as the injectors are chucking in fuel at the boosted rate, while the engine's only sucking in ambient air. If you can't get under the car to look, you can pull back the OSF end of the bumper and have a feel about...

My wifes cousin bought a Fabia Vrs recently 45,000 miles 2004 reg, and he lost power in the same way as described by the OP, initially he says there was no smoke, but he carried on driving it and now he says there is black smoke coming out the back end too! The garage have told him he needs a new oil filter and turbo and its gonna cost him £1,500!!! Thats seems steep to me and also could driving the car with a boost pip off cause the turbo to blow?

Any help appreciated as he may have to sell it if he is facing a £1,500 bill.

Your wifes cousin is getting ripped off then, its just a boost leak!