rear brakes again! But at higher speeds..

Hey i have an 03 fabia estate and there is a bit more noise than i am happy with from the rear o/s brakes. It does the usual rust grinding noise when moving off but more of a worry is the noise under heavy braking.

When braking hardish from 50 or 60 down to stopped (also sometimes happens to a lesser extend under normal firm braking) i get a rythmic groan or grinding noise, almost like a really bad flat spot on the tyre. I am thinking it must be a warped disc but when i took the wheel off the hub spins pretty evenly and the disc does not look the victim of overheating or a sticking caliper. That said there is a little bit effort required to turn the hub but nothing major.

Any ideas or should i take the disc off to get it checked/surfaced?

Many thanks

Seems to be common fault on Fabia rear brakes, there are many threads on this. One cure has been mentioned that seems feasible is to add some springs into the handbrake mechanism.

The pads are pretty new and i took the other rear wheel off to check it in case i was hearing it on the wrong side and it turned out the other disc is in a pretty bad way. It has a pretty bad concave and very bad rusting to the outer 25mm the whole way round. How much am i looking at for a new disc?

The pads are pretty new and i took the other rear wheel off to check it in case i was hearing it on the wrong side and it turned out the other disc is in a pretty bad way. It has a pretty bad concave and very bad rusting to the outer 25mm the whole way round. How much am i looking at for a new disc?

Try TPS or Eurocarparts or German, Swedish and French (GSF)...

Rear disk is a common VAG group size and costs "pennies" (relatively speaking...). Though there's a special tool required to wind back the pistons in the rear brakes... Best off seeing if an independent or local mechanically minded techie can sort it out for you.

Yet another one ! without location in profile list !!

But I would change the disc's as a pair and if possible new pads, as the old disc might have worn the pads unevenly

Radiotwo