possible water leak

Need some help.

think i got a water leak in the rear passenger door, seal seems fine and the floor barely feels damp and sometimes the car is steamed up and other times its not.

is this a common fault or something i need to look into?

As MoggyTech said, it's fairly common for the door carrier seals to fail, so water runs between the door card and the door, onto the top of the seal, and in. There's an article on Fabia-Vrs on repairing it: http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/door-carrier-repair/.

As an interim measure, putting balls of scrunched-up newspaper into the footwell will soak up the water and alleviate the problem.

Does anyone know how to remove the top of the trim?. I have all the screws off and the poppers popped but it won't let go where the door trim touches the window. That's the first of my problems. I've sealed the door carrier in the past but it's leaking again so this time need to take the carrier off and seal it with conviction; this means drilling out the rivets. Unfortunately they appear to be blind rivets and the 'pop' is still in so they won't drill out! I do love the way they ruin nice cars by money saving construction.

Mick :-|

This may not be the door seal.

If it's the n/s rear floor, does it get wet when the weather is dry? If so, you may be using the rear washer; the fault is a break (usually a joint) in the washer pipe above the n/s rear wheel arch. To check, pull the wheel arch trim away from the body and look towards the arch then get someone to use the rear washer: if this is the problem you'll see water running down the pipe onto the arch and downwards. It's very common (particularly when the fluid in the pipe freezes and causes the pipe joint to come apart) and hard to fix - I resorted to a friendly VW dealer (the Polo is the same).

This may not be the door seal.

If it's the n/s rear floor, does it get wet when the weather is dry? If so, you may be using the rear washer; the fault is a break (usually a joint) in the washer pipe above the n/s rear wheel arch. To check, pull the wheel arch trim away from the body and look towards the arch then get someone to use the rear washer: if this is the problem you'll see water running down the pipe onto the arch and downwards. It's very common (particularly when the fluid in the pipe freezes and causes the pipe joint to come apart) and hard to fix - I resorted to a friendly VW dealer (the Polo is the same).

It's not that hard to fix. I managed it! :)

There's a couple of threads i've posted in with regard to getting help to fix it.

Hope it sorts your problem out.