manual gearbox- correct oil and amount

Hi,

Does anyone know the correct grade and type of oil for the manual gearbox on a 1.9tdi 5 speed manual (AWX engine) i was going to change it at 60k miles. Is it necessary to change the oil or is it in for the life of the gearbox ? I intend to keep the car until it`s dead ! Is it an easy job to do ? Thanks.

I have no idea, but it certainly seems like a sensible idea to me to do it. My 55 plate V6 TDi 6 speed is in the same condition, I must get it done I think.

Its lifetime oil, and just fill it right up to the filling cap/plug on the side of the gearbox, when the car lifted up almost 100 procent level, rather a bit too much oil than too little.

I am going to change the oil on my newly bought superb, 136000km.

Best regards

Morten

Its lifetime oil, and just fill it right up to the filling cap/plug on the side of the gearbox, when the car lifted up almost 100 procent level, rather a bit too much oil than too little.

I am going to change the oil on my newly bought superb, 136000km.

Best regards

Morten

Thanks, is there a drain plug on the gearbox then? (Just wondering, if it's "filled for life" whether there is a drain plug or not).

I changed the gearbox oil on my car,awx engine 130bhp. It took 2.5ltr of castrol taf-x 75/90 grade. There is a drain plug underneath the gearbox which is a splined m16 plug,the filler plug is a hex 17mm which is located on the left hand side of the g/box [looking from the rear to front].

I changed the gearbox oil on my car,awx engine 130bhp. It took 2.5ltr of castrol taf-x 75/90 grade. There is a drain plug underneath the gearbox which is a splined m16 plug,the filler plug is a hex 17mm which is located on the left hand side of the g/box [looking from the rear to front].

Yeap, thats correct, VW/Skoda Dealers might have a improved gear oil that fixes worn syncromesh gear sounds in the gearbox, it was used in a action on some 5 and 6 speed gearboxes on the PQ35 and PQ46 platform cars, and on the Transporter, i cant remember the partnumber, but your dealer should know it.

I should of mentioned i changed the oil at 65000,and when i checked it was fine,no loose metal bits and the oil was not discoloured in any way.