Hi..VRS vs BMW 328i..?

pulseuk

Hi everyone :) ,

I have previously owned an Octy VRS and also an E46 BMW 328 SE.. I have quoted both as being the 2 best cars I have ever owned and luckily I'm in a position to own either one again now..trouble is I'm having difficulty deciding..boot space is important as I have nipper on the way (skoda wins here) but I cant remember what MPG I got out of the Beemer..

After looking on parkers for MPG figures and fuel capacity I have worked out that I would actually get slightly higher overall range out of the BMW although the VRS MPG figures are better..but I guess that depends on each manufacturers "claimed" figures..

I like the way both drive..I know that opinion here will be biased to some degree..but just wondered..has anyone been in a similar position with both of these cars..? Or can anyone suggest if Parkers figures are accurate or not..?

Also if anyone near west mids is selling a VRS in black or silver I'd be interested.. ;)

Opinions anyone..?

Cheers :)

I would have to say 330 for driving, but i have never driven a petrol vrs. I dont really need my 330 now but refuse to get rid of it because i would have to spend a lot to get anything like it to play with!

Hi guys..Thanks for the replies so far..but @ "babs" I dont think its a stupid question at all..I'm just asking for other peoples opinon..the 328 is a totally different motor to the vRS, and I like them both for their respective merits.. I said Im looking for peoples opinion..theres no need to lay it on and say its a stupid question..and if I've asked a stupid question it seems youve given a stupid answer..any sensible replies from people without egos are welcomed, thanks..

Edited by pulseuk

Ok, perhaps I was a little abrupt. But if you're able to afford to run a smooth straight-6 Bimmer, why would you even consider a small, cheap, derv-engined rattle box? I just don't understand.... :dull:

Ok, perhaps I was a little abrupt. But if you're able to afford to run a smooth straight-6 Bimmer, why would you even consider a small, cheap, derv-engined rattle box? I just don't understand.... :dull:

Since when was the vRS a "small, cheap, derv-engined rattle box"??? I presume he was on about the Octavia vRS in which case it could well be the petrol one? Or did I miss where he said Diesel?

As an all rounder. I would go for the vRS. But I can also understand the desire for a 6cyl rear wheel drive bimmer! But I am tight and therefore would go for value!

Since when was the vRS a "small, cheap, derv-engined rattle box"??? I presume he was on about the Octavia vRS in which case it could well be the petrol one? Or did I miss where he said Diesel?

I think I've got some wires crossed somewhere haha!

My mistake!

Octavia vRS Mk1 or 2? I'm assuming a Mk2, and if so... I'd say they look better than an E46 SE. But the engine would make up for it on the BMW.

If it was just down to which engine then a BMW six (petrol or derv) every time! Handling - personal choice here and quite different on the two cars. I don't get on with rear wheel drive :'( so I'd plump for the vRS. I've driven a 330i (and a 330d) and it's a stunning car and I've owned a modded Octavia Mk2 vRS. I imagine that for a set amount of cash you're going to get a much more recent vRS over the BMW and that would filter through to lower running costs. The vRS responds well to subtle and "fairly" inexpensive engine and suspension tweaks that really improve the car and bring the performance quite close to a 330i and can surprise people! Nice dilemma. :)

Interesting replies guys..@babs no problem..actually I was on about a MK1 Octavia VRS against the E46 328..the VRS will give better MPG returns per drive, but what I actually meant was if you work out the range based on figures supplied on parkers, the BMW actually gives you slightly more due to the size of the tank..sorry if I confused anyone with this..essentially I have made my mind up now and have gone for the Octavia..found one with some tasteful performance and styling mods..this was after travelling a 2hr round trip to see a "great condition" e46 with 46k on the clock that had so many scratches and dents over it, it looked like it had been cleaned with a lump hammer and barbed wire..!!

Hopefully be picking it up next week all being well.. :) however the seats need a little attention..just a basic clean and some very slight fraying where the mesh meets the leather. I did try and clean the seats on my old Octavia VRS with a turtle wax foam and brush all in one thing from halfords..did the carpets a treat, brought them up well but the bristles were too rough for the seats..

Anyone got any ideas on the best thing to sort out the seat cleaning and slight fraying issue..? Am googling and searcing the forum as we speak..google doesnt bring anything decent back..

Thanks in advance.. :)

cheers bezzy..!! :D

good choice of going to mk1 octy vrs mate

after sold my mk1 yellow octy vrs nearly 4 year ago as sorely missed !

i had 2 cars pug 306 gti-6 and vauxhall vectra sri B model which was lousy on fuel so return to buy a a octy vrs mk1 recently which i now can breathe easy :rofl:

good smooth ride knowing the turbo is there when u need it :p

i am a skoda car man B)

That was easy - haha!

Bigger tank on the Bimmer probably, hence the greater range?

My Mk1 Octavia vRS regulary got 28mpg over my 3 mile commute, which wasn't bad. 40mpg @ 70mph, too :)

@rob vrs..mate I know exactly how you feel..the Octavia vRS is something special alright..and I have now gone out and bought my second one..!! The one I saw last week..Picked it up yesterday and very pleased..in black..with tasteful mods and a remap..ahh happy days are here again..just in time for summer..yay !! happy driving everyone.. :rofl: