Arrrrgh! Need a cheap option for a new clutch for a remapped Fabia Vrs!

Hi,

I had my 04 Fabia Vrs remapped last month and the clutch has already started slipping pretty badly. The car is now putting out 178 bhp and 300 ftlbs of torque and is brilliant to drive, except for the slipping clutch on long journeys in 5th and 6ht gears.

I can't belive how much I've been quoted for new clutch kits! Does anyone have any ideas for clutch kits that will be good replacement and not cost epic amounts of cash?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Cheers.

Great answer that.....put it back to standard......helpful.....clearly its not really the answer he is looking for is it!! :thumbdown:

is there any oe upgrades from any of the other vag family that will fit as opposed to the smf/jabba style upgrades?

Edited by sweedish

IMO you have a problem...

i) Fit an uprated clutch. ££££s

or

ii) Get the map adjusted to cap torque.

In theory, you could have the same top end BHP with 260lbft torque as you can with 300lbft...

Hi,

I had my 04 Fabia Vrs remapped last month and the clutch has already started slipping pretty badly. The car is now putting out 178 bhp and 300 ftlbs of torque and is brilliant to drive, except for the slipping clutch on long journeys in 5th and 6ht gears.

I can't belive how much I've been quoted for new clutch kits! Does anyone have any ideas for clutch kits that will be good replacement and not cost epic amounts of cash?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Cheers.

Would have been better to have gotten a less aggressive map or and/or uprated the clutch beforehand. Before considering a remap I looked into clutch prices myself and decided against the remap.

Are your brakes standard? have you told your insurance company?

Edited by newskoda

Would have been better to have gotten a less aggressive map or and/or uprated the clutch beforehand. Are your brakes standard?

I was assured that it's not a spikey map and it feels pretty smooth to drive. The problem is that the Hydrolic Clutch Bearing was already starting to hum a little and I think the remap is finnishing it off. I always knew that I would need to replace the clutch but stupidly didn't check to see how much a new one would be. They seem to be about double what it would cost for an Octy Vrs.

And yes, I have a set of Octavia Vrs brakes to go on to stop me a bit quicker!

My insurance company were fine about the remap, they said they were only interested in the cars apperance!!

Edited by Manente

Would have been better to have gotten a less aggressive map or and/or uprated the clutch beforehand. Before considering a remap I looked into clutch prices myself and decided against the remap.

At the time before the map was it slipping?? If not then you aren't going to know, to be honest, just get an OEM clutch. It can handle 300 lb/ft. I've had mine mapped from a year now (8k) Still no slip and i'm on the original clutch at 98k.

Jon

lol :giggle:

Why would his insurance not be valid, many people (me included) have policies that allow us to modify our cars without extra cost, mine like the op is insured through chris knott using highway who do allow....wait for it.....for....are you ready........REMAPS!!!!!

Not void.....or invalid insurance at all.......odd assumption.

tbh bud there isnt a cheap option the prices of uprated vrs clutches and flywheels is rediculous, i believe you can get an oem one for around 300 nicker, which should suffice if you drive it more like a petrol, changing down gears rather than using all that torque

Thinks that's the way I'm going to go, thanks for the post.