Headlight conversion for european driving

Hi all,

I've had a scan though the search and topics but can't see an answer so hopefully somebody can answer my question. I have a 2009 Fabia Greenline which I will be driving a few times this year in mainland Europe, with one long run to Berlin too. I can't find any reference to switching the headlamps, or masking lines on the lens to black sections to prevent dazzle. I can't see anything on the light units themselves or within the dash controls. Any advice?! Thanks.

Hi, I think on the projector style lights (the ones which have like a lense over them) at the back if you take off the rubber cover there is a black lever which changes the cut off and beam pattern. I haven't done it myself but pretty sure that this is how they are altered.

Hope it helps.

Hi, I think on the projector style lights (the ones which have like a lense over them) at the back if you take off the rubber cover there is a black lever which changes the cut off and beam pattern. I haven't done it myself but pretty sure that this is how they are altered.

Hope it helps.

Thanks! I will try and take a look later :-)

Thanks! I will try and take a look later :-)

I'm not in the UK at present so can't check on my cars but would be very interested to hear the outcome on this one. I drive in Europe quite a lot.

Dunno about adjusting them from the back but Skoda sell headlight protectors, that have a clip in beam-block just for this purpose. It also stops stones etc, from damaging the lights when fitted with or without the blocker. they cost around £40 but may well be worth it just to stop you getting a tug from Le old Bill!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno about adjusting them from the back but Skoda sell headlight protectors, that have a clip in beam-block just for this purpose. It also stops stones etc, from damaging the lights when fitted with or without the blocker. they cost around £40 but may well be worth it just to stop you getting a tug from Le old Bill!!

Still had no responce from Meadens on this, or my fog lights. I phoned them today and the best answer I could get was "the boys said you get stickers at Halfords". I explained the car has clear lenses with no markings.... duh !

Worse customer service than Peugeot were giving at Westover, what have I done....

Hi, you mention Meadens... I live up the road from them so if you get stuck just message me.

If you have the projector headlamps, just remove the rubber dust covers from the back of the lights and on the drivers side on each light you will see a small but obvious silver lever. Move it down for driving abroad, it works a treat as Ive just been abroad. You get a proper beam adjustment this way but main beam seems very poor. I did 3700 miles and a fair bit of dark driving and the beams perfectly adjust for left hand driving.

Like I said, you can always meet up and Ill show you.

Hi, you mention Meadens... I live up the road from them so if you get stuck just message me.

If you have the projector headlamps, just remove the rubber dust covers from the back of the lights and on the drivers side on each light you will see a small but obvious silver lever. Move it down for driving abroad, it works a treat as Ive just been abroad. You get a proper beam adjustment this way but main beam seems very poor. I did 3700 miles and a fair bit of dark driving and the beams perfectly adjust for left hand driving.

Like I said, you can always meet up and Ill show you.

Hi' I've just had the rubber covers off the back again and see no lever.

PIC_00051.jpg

I have found though online the lens covers mentioned in an earlier posting : http://www.grasmere.co.uk/acatalog/New_Fabia_Exterior_Protection.html

:thumbup:Skoda have the part you need, listed under this part number:- ZGB5J0072100.

They are stil listing them as priced £39 inc. vat but unsure as to if this is up to date with the rate of vat back to 17.5%. Guessing at the part number, they will be GB parts, for using at home as protectors, in Europe (etc) with the beam correction inserts.

Let me know if you still have trouble with your dealer and I will ask my local one, if you are happy with the price, that is. Remember though, they are protectors too, not just adjusters!

Edited by mrgf

:thumbup:Skoda have the part you need, listed under this part number:- ZGB5J0072100.

They are stil listing them as priced £39 inc. vat but unsure as to if this is up to date with the rate of vat back to 17.5%. Guessing at the part number, they will be GB parts, for using at home as protectors, in Europe (etc) with the beam correction inserts.

Let me know if you still have trouble with your dealer and I will ask my local one, if you are happy with the price, that is. Remember though, they are protectors too, not just adjusters!

I think I'm going to order a set of protectors, the space to get your hands in and out isn't great an having to do that in the dark as were travelling to Berlin overnight is going to be a pain. I'm going to try Turners of Erlstoke for them, they are a couple of miles from my Dads house and my stash of rusty metal on wheels. They've been Skoda dealers for as long as I can ever remember, so hopefully they will know their stuff.

• 1 year later...

Hope its OK for me to bump this thread.

I am living in Germany and since my MOT/tax are expiring I am going to register my Fabia here. One of the things I need to change is the lights... I was looking at buying new headlight set on ebay to get it through the test here, but if I understand this thread maybe there is no physical difference between Europe headlight box and UK headlight box - there is just this switch.

I have a 2001 (51 plate) Fabia Estate 1.9Tdi ... is it likely I will have the switch? Does anyone know if that is sufficient to pass the german MOT (TüV) test as a 'standard' light set up (ie would it end up the same as a European model).

Thanks for any help.

Hope its OK for me to bump this thread.

I am living in Germany and since my MOT/tax are expiring I am going to register my Fabia here. One of the things I need to change is the lights... I was looking at buying new headlight set on ebay to get it through the test here, but if I understand this thread maybe there is no physical difference between Europe headlight box and UK headlight box - there is just this switch.

I have a 2001 (51 plate) Fabia Estate 1.9Tdi ... is it likely I will have the switch? Does anyone know if that is sufficient to pass the german MOT (TüV) test as a 'standard' light set up (ie would it end up the same as a European model).

Thanks for any help.

The Mk1 Fabia has normal reflector headlamps if I remember correctly, so you will have to change the headlamps unfortunately.

The Mk1 Fabia has normal reflector headlamps if I remember correctly, so you will have to change the headlamps unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply - I had a good look this morning and it looks like thats the case. I found this thread through search and only just noticed its in Fabia II so sorry for my off topic query!

Any reasons not to get cheap ones off ebay or they should do the job?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Skoda-Fabia-99-07-SCHEINWERFER-H7-H3-RECHTS-/290612056874?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item43a9d4132a

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old post 

I found this one from a search and went looking for the levers last night 

I found the one on the passenger side so I now know what im looking for, not looking forward to adjusting the drivers side but for those that may also be hunting for the elusive lever

Take off the Rubber cover on the back of the projector side

The lever is on the inside edge so towards the middle of the engine bay.

Reaching into the light housing to the full extent of my fingers i found a full a flap that felt more like think tin foil than a lever which i was able to move down with a little persuasion and back up with a little swearing.

Hope this is of some help to any one else stumbling across this.

• 11 months later...

This is a manual page which has a diagram showing the lever that needs to be moved.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/vehicle_electrics/electrical_system/lights_lamps_switches_outside/headlights_halogen_headlights/change_headlight_for_right-hand_and/or_left-hand_traffic/vehicles_with_bi-halogen_projector_headlights_%28up_to_my_2010%29_and_with_fixed_halogen_projector_headlights_%28as_of_my_2011%29/

N.B. I had already located the lever on the driver's side light before (going on entries in this post) I found the above.  The lever is quite a long way back in the housing bearing in mind that I have quite big hands (which it might be quite a challenge to negoiate into the passenger side housing to reach the lever there).

Edited by cdrPieton