Columbus GPS signal dropout and calibration?

I've been directed to here from the 'introduce myself' forum with a question regarding GPS signal dropout and calibration.

My Columbus (don't know what firmware or software version as the car is second hand with no disks or manual, believed to be dealer installed) most of the time is about 80 kms off location (in 1000km of driving over three weeks). It has worked correctly occasionally but then shifts off to the ~80km west error point. The satellite coordinates are incorrect (compared with my HTC phone) when the error is displayed and it shows 0/n satellites fixed in GPS status though the coordinates change by appropriate proportions with movement. Demo mode is turned off. I have rebooted the Columbus using <>i.

I have more than 20 years of working with GPS on land, air and sea but have not experienced this phenomena before. Is it a dodgy antenna or a firmware/software calibration issue or is there a setup something I have missed?

In the mean time I use my HTC ppc TomTom software as a backup....

Any ideas?emoticon-0120-doh.gif

Edited by michaelp

Thanks for the advice. For me that means returning it to the vendor from whom I bought the car but I have no confidence they can either solve the problem or are inclined to assist. This was meant to be resolved prior to delivery. Unfortunately the few times the Columbus has 'connected' with the satellites was in that first few days after delivery. It is a VW dealership.

The GPS box ONLY receives signals, so yes either the electronics have gone loopy on it or the programming has gone on it. How old is this unit?

Best do all the updates you can, see if it helps. Then if it doesnt I suppose its a hardware fault.

Edit: Forgot to mention, calibration isnt....really an issue as GPS units work by time vs satellites, if it sees a satellite it will know how to calibrate itself to find its location :thumbup: simple coding but ofc make sure its all software is up to date. Requires minimum of 4 satellites to find location (not 3 as some may think! :rofl: ).

Marine GPS units nowadays last for around 5yrs before the antenna's pack up.

What tends to happen if the antennas gone is that it will pick up a few (not all) satellites then drops them after a while. Annoying but not unusal.

Whats Columbus btw?

Edited by JLneonhug

Requires minimum of 4 satellites to find location (not 3 as some may think! :rofl: ).

They use 3 satellites for location and a 4th for timing your unit with the satellites. :)

Just completed some of my Open University course that's was rabbiting on about this last night lol

Kev

Edited by Jabbasport

..............Whats RNS510? :rofl:

They use 3 satellites for location and a 4th for timing your unit with the satellites. :)

Just completed some of my Open University course that's was rabbiting on about this last night lol

Kev

Yup thats it, what Open course ru doing?

Im doing Sat. Eng @ Surrey.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I'd agree with you wholeheartedly there!

Just think of Surrey as a Cream Tea. Rich, Thick & Full of Clots. Utterly bad for your health.

I think most of them (residents) are just plain pig ignorant, arrogant, rude, surly & selfish...emoticon-0127-lipssealed.gif

I wish I'd stayed on the Hampshire Coast, I think Hampshire is the best, along with Somerset.emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Edited by Evening Star

• 1 month later...

Personally i'd use VCDS (Vag Com) to check the unit for any faults..

Kev

Following your advice I get the following GPS error;

00862 011

Antenna for Navigation System (GPS) -R50-/ -R52-/ -R66-

Open Circuit

Clearly this is a contributing factor if not the cause of my 'no satellite fix' GPS status.

My question is now what is involved in sorting this out.

Latest AU VW RNS510 firmware and software installed yesterday.emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Note: the system has worked intermittently but not for several weeks now, so there is an assumption there is an antenna fitted.

Edited by michaelp

Following your advice I get the following GPS error;

00862 011

Antenna for Navigation System (GPS) -R50-/ -R52-/ -R66-

Open Circuit

Clearly this is a contributing factor if not the cause of my 'no satellite fix' GPS status.

My question is now what is involved in sorting this out.

Latest AU VW RNS510 firmware and software installed yesterday.emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Note: the system has worked intermittently but not for several weeks now, so there is an assumption there is an antenna fitted.

BUMP

I'd pull the HU out & make sure the GPS antenna is plugged in firmly.

It could be faulty too - mebbe buy a cheapo one on eBay for under a tenner to swap test. Might just cure the prob! :thumbup:

good points Simbo...

I've tried to search for 'hu removal' and similar on this site but don't get helpful results. Any pointers?

I have another gps antenna to try if the installed one is faulty....

Edited by michaelp

Thank you for the clear instructions. Problem solved. A wiggle of the connection at the back of the HU was all it took to immediately get satellite reception.

Edited by michaelp