Dog restraint without a cage

Maesyman

I ordered my Yeti at the weekend - to accommodate our new 4-legged friend!

Does anyone know of a SAFE way to harness her in the back without the use of a cage? Dealer was a bit cagey (excuse the pun) and suggested using the shopping bag bars; I asked if there are any ISOFIX points in the back but apparently there are not. (In any eveny can a cage be secured in the back? - have read the comments about the dog guard, etc. Constructive suggestions would be very welcome!

I have 2 Hunter car safety harnesses for my dogs. See below for details. I also have a rear seat cover from pets at home. This cover hafixing s straps which fit around the front and rear seat headrests to keep it in place, plus slots sealed with velcro to allow the harnesses to be attached to the existing rear seat belts whilst keeping dog crud off the upholstery.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/car_harness

I think there are two ISOfix points below the spare wheel, but I am currently too occupied to go out and take the wheel out to make sure. Maybe some of the pix from Flickr will show you.

Just check on what weight can be taken by the shopping bag hooks/bar compared to the size of dog.

You can also get a dog restraint that clips to loops in the floor.

Don't even try it with a Staffie: :)

Skoda original

Dog guard/luggage restraint

DMM 630 001 £102.00

(easy to remove if you want)

That looks very neat indeed. And it does not fit into spacial connection points as I had thought. (See my original post). I like how neat it fits but alas it can't be moved to be behind the front seats as a luggage retraint there. OR can it?

• 3 months later...

Someone somewhere asked the other day in another thread what the official Yeti dog guard looks like and I said all I can remember is that there are pics of it in a white Yeti. Well there you go! See above.

NOW I can't remember in which thread that was asked so I hope the person sees this instead!

Edit: fatfinger

Edited by 900000

If you don't have a spare wheel or variable boot floor there is a problem using a cage in the boot, the cage will fit perfectly but you cannot open the door of the cage to let the dog get in or out. A bit off topic but it may come in useful for someone.

If you don't have a spare wheel or variable boot floor there is a problem using a cage in the boot, the cage will fit perfectly but you cannot open the door of the cage to let the dog get in or out. A bit off topic but it may come in useful for someone.

Very useful comment actually. How about if you put it sideways. Presumably that is okay?

The cages often have 2 doors to open, one at an end and one at a side. Would the side one not be okay? I am thinking of going the cage route rather than a guard.

Under these conditions the cage would normally come fitted with a door (and an opening) whose bottom line started above the boot lip