I-Pod cable for Octavia II

Hi guys, getting my 58-plate Octavia vRS at the start of May but looking to get the I-Pod cable in the car.

Am i right in sayign the part number i need is CTASKIPOD002?

Also, does anyone know how much this should cost roughly?

Thanks.

Edited by a_waugh

Hi guys, getting my 58-plate Octavia vRS at the start of May but looking to get the I-Pod cable in the car.

Am i right in sayign the part number i need is CTASKIPOD002?

Also, does anyone know how much this should cost roughly?

Thanks.

\Depends if the vehicle is fitted with the full blown MDI interface or just an Aux -In in the armrest.............

\Depends if the vehicle is fitted with the full blown MDI interface or just an Aux -In in the armrest.............

Wheres the MDI? I've definitely got the Aux in the glove box? Is there a difference in the features? I am guessing the mdi allows control of the ipod from the HU?

I know there is an AUX in the armrest. Spotted that when having a good look round the car.

Will check when im finalising the collection date on Monday. There was me thinking it would be easy.

dont know how much skoda charging for the cable to fit aux but ones frombelkin are about £15........but rubbish, broke quickly. i bought a curly lead (Griifin i think) for the same price and this seems better. apparently the usb to 3.5mm jack is better sound quality as there is some interference with the 3.5 to 3.5mm jack.

If you want an integrated charger/line out dock option, Belkin's Tunebase FM has a line-out dock. I only know becauase I had one for my previous car, and used it for the first couple of weeks with the Scout, until I got the MDI cable (not mentioned at purchase and considerably cheaper form the UK than Aussie dealer).

It sort of surpises me that no-one does an combined LOD/Charger - I still use the Tunebase for rental cars.....

Kent

OK, if you want to do this properly rather than going through am FM transmitter with the resulting loss of quality.....

>IF< you have what is known as the MDI or Multimedia Device Interface - basically the full fat ipod / usb hard drive interface then there will be a multi-pin connector in the glovebox. The enclosed picture shows the box for the armrest in a Golf but you can clearly see the connector...........and the cable you will need. There are two cables, one for direct connection to the dock connector on the bottom of the ipod and another which allows USB devices to be connected. This interface takes over the control of the iPod and allows you to change tracks etc from the head unit.

If the car is fitted with this option then the cables are around £15 - 20 on ebay.

The other option is the Aux-In socket in the armrest which is basically just a 3.5mm stereo jack soket to which you connect your iPod via its headphone output. Quality is variable due to the fact that you are going through the headphone amp rather than a proper line-out as in the dock connectior and you may fine fun and games with noisy connections - jack plugs, especially 2.5mm / 3.5mm ones are notoriously noisy.

FM transmitters are the work of the devil in my opinion and are to be avoided at all costs unless you have no other option.

If you don't have the MDI but like the sound of it then it can be retrofitted either by yourself or by somebody like Ben at Shark Peformance or VRSStu who is active on here.

Wait until you get the car and you can check what you have.

post-47653-12719197817845_thumb.jpg

OK, if you want to do this properly rather than going through am FM transmitter with the resulting loss of quality.....

>IF< you have what is known as the MDI or Multimedia Device Interface - basically the full fat ipod / usb hard drive interface then there will be a multi-pin connector in the glovebox. The enclosed picture shows the box for the armrest in a Golf but you can clearly see the connector...........and the cable you will need. There are two cables, one for direct connection to the dock connector on the bottom of the ipod and another which allows USB devices to be connected. This interface takes over the control of the iPod and allows you to change tracks etc from the head unit.

If the car is fitted with this option then the cables are around £15 - 20 on ebay.

The other option is the Aux-In socket in the armrest which is basically just a 3.5mm stereo jack soket to which you connect your iPod via its headphone output. Quality is variable due to the fact that you are going through the headphone amp rather than a proper line-out as in the dock connectior and you may fine fun and games with noisy connections - jack plugs, especially 2.5mm / 3.5mm ones are notoriously noisy.

FM transmitters are the work of the devil in my opinion and are to be avoided at all costs unless you have no other option.

If you don't have the MDI but like the sound of it then it can be retrofitted either by yourself or by somebody like Ben at Shark Peformance or VRSStu who is active on here.

Wait until you get the car and you can check what you have.

A great post as always. I do not have one of these connections in my glove box. Where is the OEM interface mounted in the Octavia glove box?

Thank You George!

The cable will come out from just below the light unit in the glovebox. On a retrofit, it is not uncommon to find them in the ashtray or armrest depending on how bothered the person installing it was!

Thank You George!

The cable will come out from just below the light unit in the glovebox. On a retrofit, it is not uncommon to find them in the ashtray or armrest depending on how bothered the person installing it was!

This is the MDI interface in the glove box with the cable fitted.

[img ]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4294642162_69c57cd969_b.jpg[/img]

You are welcome. I've not been posting long on here, but you always appear to offer sound advice.

I've just rechecked and I definitely do NOT have one of those MDI interfaces. Do you have any idea what the retro fit costs are?

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome. I've not been posting long on here, but you always appear to offer sound advice.

I've just rechecked and I definitely do NOT have one of those MDI interfaces. Do you have any idea what the retro fit costs are?

Thanks in advance.

When I first bought my car a lot of people on here gave me some very good advice that helped no end so the least I can do is try and help others emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The following is a link to a full retrofit kit on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-MEDIA-IN-INTERFACE-MDI-RNS510-MFD3-RETROFIT-KIT_W0QQitemZ110510497767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item19baf05fe7

Fitting is not difficult - you just remove the trim around the stereo, undo four screws, lift out the stereo head unit, disconnect the large multiway cable at the rear, connect the MDI cable in'line, wrap a bit of foam around the MDI "brain" and stuff it down inside the dash somewhere, cut a hole in the glovebox and run the cable in. Replace stereo and trim and ...........bobs yer uncle etc!

Not sure what head unit you have but I >think< the MDI works with everything - somebody else on here may be able to confirm.

If you don't fancy fitting yourself, I think BEN at Shark Performance may be able to assist - send him a personal mail.

In no way, shape or form was I recommending the FM transmitter over aux or MDI. But it was good when I first got one about 5 years ago, and if you don't have other options (such as some rentals - I always take it with me for this reason)

And thanks re. the Griffin - it wasn't around when I last looked, I'm sure.

ANyway, MDI in my Scout now.....

When I first bought my car a lot of people on here gave me some very good advice that helped no end so the least I can do is try and help others emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The following is a link to a full retrofit kit on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-MEDIA-IN-INTERFACE-MDI-RNS510-MFD3-RETROFIT-KIT_W0QQitemZ110510497767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item19baf05fe7

Fitting is not difficult - you just remove the trim around the stereo, undo four screws, lift out the stereo head unit, disconnect the large multiway cable at the rear, connect the MDI cable in'line, wrap a bit of foam around the MDI "brain" and stuff it down inside the dash somewhere, cut a hole in the glovebox and run the cable in. Replace stereo and trim and ...........bobs yer uncle etc!

Not sure what head unit you have but I >think< the MDI works with everything - somebody else on here may be able to confirm.

If you don't fancy fitting yourself, I think BEN at Shark Performance may be able to assist - send him a personal mail.

Owwwwwch! I reckon I will be able to manage with the standard aux connector for the mean time. I have my sights set on the Sat Nav and Cruise retro fits first. Tbh if I can find or, someone can recommend an aftermarket dock interface that will integrate fully with the RNS510 unit for sensible money I would opt for that. I assume a hole in the glovebox is needed to route the cable to the back of the HU? Not sure I have the onions to cut my dash....

Just been up to check on my car today and finalise plate transfer and finance and it doesnt have the interface, but the dearler is throwing in an AUX lead for me. (how good of them :rofl: )

Next Monday is the day im getting it. Cant wait.