Half Life 2 - bit dissappointing

spangelaregreat

Have you tried HL DM yet? Thats amazingly fast, i managed to win one round of that against quite a few good ppl, its so hard though because of the general speed... bloodshot eyes anyone :)

Wait until you get the grav-gun Redux at the end. O M G its amazing - shame you cant cheat to get it in any level :(

Have you tried HL DM yet?...

I would love to, but I don't seem to have it?!? I don't even think I've been patched yet, but I don't know how to check my version number, so I don't even know.

The only guidance I can find in the forums is "restart Steam to get the patch, download HL2DM, solve the energy crisis, cure cancer etc", I restart Steam and/or my PC and NOTHING HAPPENS :thumbdwn: . Still no DM. What am I doing wrong?

Steam absolutely sucks. Why can't I just download an executable :( ?

Steam is a real pain for me...

It works fine for HL2 but I only discovered the steam thing after I purchased it, and I need to sort out my old Halflife key with Steam if I want to play HL(1) through it...

I even registered on Steam to try and get some answers, but it's just winding me up. So I'm just sticking to HL2 until I can sort out and let steam off or should that be let off steam :rofl:

Played HL2DM last night and thought it was absolute pants :( It might have been jolt's servers (they were the first ones I saw), but they were laggy, and I spent half the game getting stuck when I approached walls, etc. Fairly frantic, but didn't appear to be a finished package...

Gave up on that pretty quickly and spent the rest of the night playing CS:S... much more fun :)

I had a brilliant time on it, no lag at all, and absolutly romped the DM scene with the help of Nostromo. Admittedly i dont think its finished, but steam servers will be here very shortly.... :D

Loved playing with grav gun in areas of the map with loads of stuff. Catching things people throw at you and hurling them back, but do more than one and it can get em good and proper. Also saw a guy camping behind a car, so used primary fire on the car from the grav gun and flipped the car onto him :D - NO CAMPERS!

For me, so far, Far Cry is one of the best FPS games on the PC. Looks amazing. I have gone back to playing that after getting bored half way through Doom 3 and Deus Ex 2. Not played HL2 yet tho - I think santa is bringing it so cant go an buy it.

Will it work on my PC?

AMD XP 2000

1Gb of PC2700/333 RAM

Geforce FX5200 gfx card (128Mb)

or am I gonna have to shell out for some upgrades to play it?

ta

Farcry is ok, runs like an **** on my 2500+XP, 512MB RAM, ATI 9600 (o/c'd from 340 to 410MHz) though - but thats expected because Nvidia paid for most of the development.... Thus i couldnt get into it because it wasnt playable.

Your machine should run it ok, you wont get amazing graphical glory but at any level its very playable, and its all about the physics ;)

Farcry is ok' date=' runs like an **** on my 2500+XP, 512MB RAM, ATI 9600 (o/c'd from 340 to 410MHz) though - but thats expected because Nvidia paid for most of the development.... Thus i couldnt get into it because it wasnt playable.

[/quote']

I dont think thats true to be fair. My mate runs it on an ATI 9800 Pro, P4-3 Ghz and 1 Gb RAM and it runs like **** off a shovel on that. It runs acceptably well on my AXP 2600+, 1.25 Gb RAM and Geforce 6800 GT, but certainly no better than on my mates machine, and mine is a much better card than a 9800 Pro.

Anyway, Far Cry and Half Life 2 are about equal IMO.

Think the processor balances it out there... you should be much better because of your graphics card being a geforce.

I have exactly the same problem with Doom 3, even Farcry with pixelshader 2 model and not 3 is slow and jerky. Have to play it in 640x480. Doom is just hungry and considering its inside all the time thats just stupid. Farcry is a bit too bright though and the enemies take too many far potshots at you. AI is good otherwise, but doesnt vary in atmosphere as much as HL2. ubisoft have made only one good fps and thats XIII.

There were stats somewhere on the interwebtron about memory above a gig. Once you go above a gig, you get double the lag for every extra half memory you put in... Cant remember where it was, think it was the reg or somewhere.

Bought the silver package via Steam, make sure you make a seperate Steam account for silver or you'll you lose your current HL1 cd-key that's attached to your account. Plus if you buy silver you get DoD:S included :D.

Yeah started playing HL2 and CS:S great games, my PC is definitely telling me to upgrade the CPU as I play at 1280x1024 with a 9800pro, Athlon XP 1800 and 512MB RAM.

• Administrators

Chanser,

Processor and ram holding you back.

The 9800Pro is still a capable card, dx9+ compilant.

I have donated my 9800le(clocked) to SWMBO so she can get cracking on EQ. In the meantime I'm using her Geforce ti4200 which is still a current card and actally plays HL2 quite well. My underlying system is a PIV 2.4c and 512 (donated her a gig aswell).

A nice Athlon 64 + mobo .

Failing that can i buy your 9800 because untill the price of the x stuff comes down I'm not budging, when I do it will be to PCI express because by then 12-18 months, it might actually be faster.

Chanser' date='

Processor and ram holding you back.

The 9800Pro is still a capable card, dx9+ compilant.

I have donated my 9800le(clocked) to SWMBO so she can get cracking on EQ. In the meantime I'm using her Geforce ti4200 which is still a current card and actally plays HL2 quite well. My underlying system is a PIV 2.4c and 512 (donated her a gig aswell).

A nice Athlon 64 + mobo <200 notes and it will fly again even on 512 ;).

Failing that can i buy your 9800 because untill the price of the x stuff comes down I'm not budging, when I do it will be to PCI express because by then 12-18 months, it might actually be faster.[/quote']

Sorry you can't buy my 9800pro, the graphics card before it is a Nvidia Geforce 1 SDR :P.

Thing is with upgrading there's always new technology coming out, I think AGP will still be alive in 2 years time but with PCI-E taking more of the market. I'll have to consider a total PC upgrade next year but I can always wait for Soundstorm 2 to come out :P.

Use the crowbar on the head suckers! Very quick and fun kill!

I like this game' date=' but it takes ages to start up, why is this guys?

JT[/quote']

If your out of ammo the Grav Gun works nicely on the Head Crabs use the throw function not the grab.

It takes ages to load cause it got lots to load :thumbup:

Bit of info on your system would help ;)