Insurance question

Spedz

Hey,

I was looking through my insurance details early, when I re-read my certificiate.

I noticed that on it, was a nice little paragraph under the 'Persons or classes of Persons entitled to drive' bit:

"The policyholder if they have a full EU licence, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any Private Motor Car that they do not own and have not hired or leased subject to the terms and conditions of this policy"

Now, does this mean I can drive any car under TPF&T?

Now here's the thing - I have a TPF&T cover myself, I'm the policy holder. But i'm 17. Surely this doesn't mean I can go driving around in my mum's TT or a friends Clio 182?

Any advice from anyone? :S

Hey,

I was looking through my insurance details early, when I re-read my certificiate.

I noticed that on it, was a nice little paragraph under the 'Persons or classes of Persons entitled to drive' bit:

"The policyholder if they have a full EU licence, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any Private Motor Car that they do not own and have not hired or leased subject to the terms and conditions of this policy"

Now, does this mean I can drive any car under TPF&T?

Now here's the thing - I have a TPF&T cover myself, I'm the policy holder. But i'm 17. Surely this doesn't mean I can go driving around in my mum's TT or a friends Clio 182?

Any advice from anyone? :S

Who is the policy with? Most with Quinn will let you do this, but all others I've come across have an age restriction (25?) on them, and state this on the insurance certificate.

Edited by TriggerFish

Thanks for your replies,

Yeah.. It's with quinn.

Just rang them up and she confirmed that I'm legally insured to drive any car for 3rd Party insurance, providing I have permission and it's taxed etc.

How odd..

It's fairly normal when you have fully comp insurance, I did have it on my first TPF&T insurance, but it was removed from the policy when I renewed... That was 20 years ago though...

AFAIK the third party vehicle must be fully road legal including it's own insurance poilcy??

Yes thats certainly tje case.

The "other cars" clause is really there in order to allow you to drive other vehihles in an emergecy situation i.e. sombody ill and can't drive themselves or need to get somewhere in an emaergcy and borrow a car) and also to give you some cover wheb test driving a car.

The clause is being increasing abused with people using this cover to regularly drive another car - i.e. mothers TT !!, and many companies car now withdrawing this cover.

Thanks again for the replies.

Yeah, afaik it does need insurance etc

It's handy to know in whatever circumstances they come to hand.. I wouldn't drive anyone else car regularly. Maybe the rare spin when accompanied, but never anything serious :p