CAR STUCK IN DRIVE!

Hi I tried to drive off this morning only for the car to not move.

At first I thought it was the handbrake but after checking it turns out that my pads are locked tight to the disks( there is a slight step in the disk but not bad). I have tried accelerating and reversing but no joy and pumping the brake pedal to release them.

I believe the calapers are closed? Is this right? How do I fix this? Is it a garage job? How much will this cost do you think?

Thankyou for any help given in advance

Paul/ Densedog

How long has it been parked up for? few days or just overnight happened to me once after leaving the car sat for 2 weeks, the calipers locked pads on the brake disc try building the revs lifting the clutch out slowly to avoid stalling the torque of the engine should snap it out of the locked position dont do it more than once or twice because you may cause further damage.

If the car does not try to move at all, could be a snapped drive shaft the revs will build up and in gear but it wont move because the shaft may have snapped.

Let us know what it is? hope you get it sorted

Its been left over night. Pads and disks are stuck firm. Tried what you said however no joy.

Sods law it happens when the footballs on hey! You have to laugh!

I have taken off both front wheels and used a rubber mallet to hit loose the crap and rust . I can move my car now however the pads are still rubbing the disks. The brake pedal sometimes sticks too. Have pumped the brake and still stuck.

got me puzzled this..only left overnite and front wheels locked on :wonder: ...the pads on the front shudnt even be pressed on the discs if only left overnite..if they are they must av been binding for a while..

A couple of days ago i had to slam on the brake else i would have t-boned an idiot who had pulled out without looking. Could this have damaged the brake cable?

Its very puzzling as no binding before. As i cant move the damn thing is it best to called a mobile mechanic and if so will they be able to repair it insitu? I have work Tuesday and need it for the commute

got me puzzled this..only left overnite and front wheels locked on :wonder: ...the pads on the front shudnt even be pressed on the discs if only left overnite..if they are they must av been binding for a while..

A couple of days ago i had to slam on the brake else i would have t-boned an idiot who had pulled out without looking. Could this have damaged the brake cable?

Its very puzzling as no binding before. As i cant move the damn thing is it best to called a mobile mechanic and if so will they be able to repair it insitu? I have work Tuesday and need it for the commute

Cable......?

The brakes are hydraulic and they don't stick on. Pump the brakes up hard, keep the pedal pressed down thenstart the car up. Does the pedal sink under your foot?

Next door neighbour had a similar problem with the pads seized on tight on his Fiesta a few weeks ago. I removed the calipers and pushed the pads back OK. replaced the calipers then the piston wouldn't push the pads foward. Removed the flexible brake line to the caliper & a dribble of fluid came out when the pedal was depressed.

I was a bit puzzled and then I asked him if the brake pedal had been OK recently? 'funny you should ask he said, but for a month or so some mornings it's hard and some mornings it's spongy (I think he meant the pedal :giggle: )

So we replaced the master cylinder, problem solved.

I have pumped the brake till the pedal is locked up, turned the ignition on. The pedal dropped by 2-3 inches i guess. The car moves but breaks smell as still stuck.

When moving the car around the close, the brake pedal stays locked up from time to time even though the car is still moving. Had to use the hand brake to stop the car. The pedal then responds again when i drove off. Completely baffled! Will call a mechanic first thing tomorrow.

Sounds to me master cylinder/servo fault, with brake fluid not permitted to return to master cylinder, hence ALL brakes locked on.

Can understand one maybe two wheels locking up, through rust but not ALL 4 wheels.

Releasing a small amount of brake fluid from each brake nipple may temporarily release this pressure.

However after the first brake pedal application will probably put it all back to square one, but prove a point.

Ever renewed all brake fluid in system?? (every 2 year recommendation)

Sorry, garage job to pick car up or, DIY master cylinder.

Good luck.

Edited by giandougl