Service

Any advice chaps, my 08 tdi 140 is on variable servicing as far as I know and if I hold the trip button in it comes up with 8500 and a spanner symbol, despite this my dealer has just sent me a service reminder. I have had the car about 7 or 8 months so it seems too early for a service but 8500 also seems a lot of miles to do before a service, does the car let you know when a service is due itself? Thanks.

My car was on variable servicing, it has maxidot computer so will show the number of days as well as mileage to next service. On variable service regime the maximum the car will go up to is 2 years or 18,000 miles between services depending on driving circumstances. Mine was showing 7,400 miles and about 340 days before servicing when I got a reminder from dealer about service. Up to you if you want to wait until car asks for service or you err on the side of caution and get it serviced now, will be more expensive unless you ask dealer to change to fixed intervals so you get a small cheaper service done every other year with a full service done on the years in between.

Ian

Cheers for the help, I have dug out the service book and it was last done 1-4-09 and the next due is 1-4-11 so the dealer must have just made a mistake with dates, i will wait for the car to tell me, I have just done an oil change a few weeks ago so it would be a waste to take it in now.

Before going to the main dealer I would try an independant garage for your servicing. Here in Doncaster the main dealer is very poor, there is however an excellent independant VAG service centre who charged me exactly half the main dealer prices for both services and cam belt change.