Hatch Tailgate Rattle

Has anyone had a rattle from their tailgate?

It happens over rough roads but I think I can reproduce it when shutting the boot. It seems to rattle from the left hand side near where the gas strut attaches to the hatch lid.

Everything seems tight and I'm having difficulty tracing it further.

Just wondered if anyone else had it and what the fix might be?

It happens over rough roads but I think I can reproduce it when shutting the boot. It seems to rattle from the left hand side near where the gas strut attaches to the hatch lid.

Yep, mine does, although I can actually hear something rattling inside when I lift the hatch. I suspect someone's had the trim off in the past and snapped a clip and left a bit inside - it's really annoying! You could try adjusting the bump-stops - on the bottom of the hatch door, the black rubber parts should wind out a bit to hold it more firmly when slammed shut..

Out if interest I had a similar rattle, sounded to be coming from the hatch area. I traced it to the seat not being fully locked in its catch, try dropping the rear seat sides and resetting them with a hard push - it may just be that. Drove me mad for ages until I tried that.

Had similar in my golf mkv. Options where the bits on the end of the parcel shelf string banging around. Rear bench not shut properly and rear seat belts knocking together or loose fixing in rear light cluster!

I HAD THE SAME..IT WAS THE NUMBER PLATE ,,THE CENTER OF IT HAD COME AWAY JUST ENOUGH TO VIBRATE WHEN I ACCELERATED ,I THOUGHT THE EXHAUST HAD COME LOOSE,,

Edited by nutskoda

I have a knocking noise from the hatch area when on rough roads, its still there without the parcel shelf and with the seats down. I am wondering if its the spare wheel area and the form insert for the tools is rattling, as I know I cant fully tighen the strap? I suppose I could take it out and check! :dull:

Definately not the seat belt clips rattling together? Is it further back than these?If not try doing them both up and / or felt tape in between to stop them knocking together. Are the internals of your rear light cluster all secure?

Out if interest I had a similar rattle, sounded to be coming from the hatch area. I traced it to the seat not being fully locked in its catch, try dropping the rear seat sides and resetting them with a hard push - it may just be that. Drove me mad for ages until I tried that.

Bingo, this happened to me, rear passengers sometimes inadvertently knock the catch to lower rear seats when reaching for seatbelts, the red button is raised if not locked in place :thumbup:

Cheers for the ideas chaps.

Had the seats not being clipped in before. Had the hatch trim panel off yesterday and taped some wires up but don't think it's cured it.

You can actually see and hear the hatch rattle when you close it so it's a bit weird!