water inside boot door trim VRS

cant find this in searches but I opened boot on my vrs and noticed when open 1/4 ish that water dropping from one of the lil rubber studs that rest against car when closes( near side) these unscrew so i did so and let a lil more dribble out other side was dry. then opened boot fully and where the plastic trim on the door itself overlaps halt way up rear window water started dipping out fast and ran straight into car over speakers rear headrests etc I dried it up and made sure it had stopped. Rained on and off for next few hours checked again and it had taken more in!! Havent used the rear washer or anything so doubt its that but I cannot see where water is getting in nothing is blocked or perished!

Any ideas ??? water phisically spilling into car every time i open it :( and does the trim on boot lide just pop off or is there a trick to it before I go in there?

thanks in advance

Edited by FUBAR

Quite a write-up about this problem.

Rear screen washer pipe pops off base of jet and allows water to spill out everywhere, when rear washer operated.

Removing rear tail-gate trim ( not an easy task) with strong fingers and a lever, and pop pipe back on.

I was drastic and cut a hole in tail-gate trim for the future, then placed plastic square over hole, (only because hassle with the trim).

Type in 'Rear Washer not working' in 'SEARCH' box and you'll get loads of other members with same problem.

PS

In engine bay near bulk-head (near-side) same problem does occur.

Rear screen washer pipe pops off base of jet and allows water to spill out everywhere, when rear washer operated.

Removing rear tail-gate trim ( not an easy task) with strong fingers and a lever, and pop pipe back on.

I was drastic and cut a hole in tail-gate trim for the future, then placed plastic square over hole, (only because hassle with the trim).

Type in 'Rear Washer not working' in 'SEARCH' box and you'll get loads of other members with same problem.

PS

cheers for reply, Rear washer hose was my first thought too ive seen posts on that inn the past on here but my washer hadnt been used and the liquid was not blue (my fluid is dark blue) was soaked up with a white towel any ideas where rain water can get in ?? I never really use rear washer but will operate it to see if its functioning to be 100%

just took it all apart washer hose fine bone dry inside of the plastic trim looked like it had been soaked in past and dried streaks in it right in middle all way up it condensation ?? dried off where water had been definatly not windscreen wash but when im opening boot after rain im getting a spurt of water flying in on the rear window piller where plastic trims overlap

ps. NEVER EVER EVER want to take that piece of trim off again its rubbish far too many clips ditched 2 to make it easier to put back on. took 5 min to get off safely and about 30 of jiggling to get the silly lil wobbly clips all lined up to guide into their holes 12-14 ish clips pointless..

just took it all apart washer hose fine bone dry inside of the plastic trim looked like it had been soaked in past and dried streaks in it right in middle all way up it condensation ?? dried off where water had been definatly not windscreen wash but when im opening boot after rain im getting a spurt of water flying in on the rear window piller where plastic trims overlap

ps. NEVER EVER EVER want to take that piece of trim off again its rubbish far too many clips ditched 2 to make it easier to put back on. took 5 min to get off safely and about 30 of jiggling to get the silly lil wobbly clips all lined up to guide into their holes 12-14 ish clips pointless..

You now first hand why I got my own inspection hatchway. LOLemoticon-0148-yes.gif

You now first hand why I got my own inspection hatchway. LOLemoticon-0148-yes.gif

lol good idea I will do the same if mines comes off not taking that trim off again ITS A pain

PS

Hi you care to eleborate a bit about this . . . . . .

I have done the door carrier seal on all 4 doors and it seem to have taken care of the wettness

in the back floor board but its still wet in the front. Having been trying to get at the air-con,

thinking it may be the condensate water . . . . . has this air-con drain pipe been a problem ?

Any idea how to get to the air unit from inside the car ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello skodasg,

Leaning in over engine bay and looking at bulk-head on nearside, you may/ will see washer pipe and connection.

You may have to coax connection out of cabin side of bulk-head.

If this connection pops off/ comes apart, then each time rear washer is used, water can/ may spill into cabin foot-well.

I drastically cut each end off (as connection was leaking but still joined) and pushed onto each-end a piece of rubber pipe.

JOB DONE, hasn't leaked since, and has quite a force when rear washer used.

Edited by giandougl

Hi you care to eleborate a bit about this . . . . . .

I have done the door carrier seal on all 4 doors and it seem to have taken care of the wettness

in the back floor board but its still wet in the front. Having been trying to get at the air-con,

thinking it may be the condensate water . . . . . has this air-con drain pipe been a problem ?

Any idea how to get to the air unit from inside the car ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply . . . . .

So the water bottle in the front supplies water to the rear wiper as well ?

This may well be the culprit . . . . . I do use the wiper wash to the front and rear often.

Another suspect now :doh: I was going for the aircon drain pipe but couldn't

get to it after 2 trys . . . . . .

Will check this one out first.

Thanks again.

I've just noticed today that I must have a clip off on the boot trim as I can here it moving about whenever I open or shut the boot!

After reading this thread and the comments regarding removing and reffiting the trim the little bugger can stay there! ;)

Boot trims easy, may need 2 to refit though... took me 10 seconds to take it off, and 2 of us about 30 seconds to put it back? Unless you mean the top part of the boot trim, I only took the fat bottom bit off.

water in the front passenger footwell can be the bulkhead/plenum chamber drainage holes being blocked. the water finds other ways in, normally through the pollen filter :thumbdown: I'd check the pollen filters dry, and that the plenum chamber is free from debris (plastic cover that the wipers go through). There was a post recently showing where the drainage holes are, theres little rubber slits against the bulkhead.

water in the front passenger footwell can be the bulkhead/plenum chamber drainage holes being blocked. the water finds other ways in, normally through the pollen filter :thumbdown: I'd check the pollen filters dry, and that the plenum chamber is free from debris (plastic cover that the wipers go through). There was a post recently showing where the drainage holes are, theres little rubber slits against the bulkhead.

Thanks for your info.

How difficult is it to remove the (plastic cover that the wipers go through) ???e

It'll be good to remove this buggere and have a good look inside.

I have cleared whatever I can (essentially dead leaves) from the 2 sides and poured water in there

and see the water coming out the drain hole. There's one drain hole behind the right front wheel arch,

just between the plastic arch cover and car body. Didn't see one on the left side.

normally through the pollen filter :thumbdown:

Is this the one nex t to the glove compartment ???

Edited by skodasg

Pollen filter is under the glove box. iirc theres 2 clips that need to be slipped aside then the cover comes off and you can pull it out.

The other drainage hole is just under the ABS ecu behind the air box (its a silver box i think). Theres a rubber slit :thumbup:

Plenum chambers fairly easy to get to... is 2 plastic clips and you need to remove the wiper arms. you may need a puller to get these off as they tend to cease on (mine were a right pain but the puller had em off in 5 seconds)