Are they taking the mickey?

I don't doubt some dealers have them up for 10k, what i'm saying is when i was selling mine, no one was willing to pay anywhere near

The current state of the market, today, this afternoon....

28k miles £8,995 Private Sale http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1833483.htm

23.5k miles £9,995 Dealer http://www.winnergarage.co.uk/121783/winnergarage_stock.htm

Car prices, just like anything else fluctuate over time. We have got used to them always dropping but anyone who knows anything about the market knows that at present s/h car prices are very firm and yes, in certain isolated cases, they are actually rising.

Opinion and conjecture is all well and good but reality is what is being asked and achieved against a backdrop of demand for a model that is increasingly in tight hands.

I was looking at 2 cars that Simpsons of Preston have in , both £9495 IIRC , they are the nearest to me. Trouble is my local (ex) Skoda place have a 56 plate Octy II vRS in with 43K on for around the same price - what to do? lol

All I did was have a look at Autotrader last week. Sorry if that's a bit much for you.

Four days on and we are all still waiting for you to evidence dealers selling low mileages vRS SEs for £8k. PUT UP OR SHUT UP

30 seconds of searching gives me this.

http://www.autotrade...s/vrs?logcode=p

and

and

Granted the last two are over, but haggle a bit. And regardless - the first one is way under before haggling.

Edit - opps, missed the 'low' part - sorry. Kinda rules the first one out, although some will argue it's low for a vRS, but not for its age.

Edited by TriggerFish

30 seconds of searching gives me this.

Granted the last two are over, but haggle a bit. And regardless - the first one is way under before haggling.

Edit - opps, missed the 'low' part - sorry. Kinda rules the first one out, although some will argue it's low for a vRS, but not for its age.

Sorry. Nice try but last two of your examples are NOT at Skoda dealers, which was I believe the original asertion by Irvtheswerv and the first one is much higher mileage.

My belief that if you seek a low mileage vRS SE from a Skoda dealer, you will likely be looking at cars with close to £10k on their screens remains.

Edited by GREZA

You're wasting your time Triggerfish. Greza is a troll who is attempting to antagonise the rest of the people on this forum. Best thing to do is ignore him.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!!!!

You simply cannot muster the intellect to carry on an informed and accurate debate. All you seen to spout is unsubstaniated opinionated conjecture.

fabia vrs se up for 9,995 27,000miles at skoda's winner garage in cinderford . . . looks like prices for the se gona stay high for a long while . . . havent seen a cheap one yet

Nor have I , my dilemma is do i buy an SE or do I order a new FL Fabia Elegance 105 TSI and pay an extra 2 grand with the VAT free deal....ohh i hate hard choices lol

Nor have I , my dilemma is do i buy an SE or do I order a new FL Fabia Elegance 105 TSI and pay an extra 2 grand with the VAT free deal....ohh i hate hard choices lol

I would recommend a little lateral thinking. Turn down the emotions and think with cold hard logic.

The new car, any car will depreciate much quicker than a low mileage and relatively young second hand one that has already suffered its initial losses.

Furthermore, Fabia vRS MkII does not sit on the same spot as Fabia vRS MkI, it is too complex and it is petrol and it is no bargain pricewise.

Therefore as MkI cars fall into ever tighter hands, the supply of good ones will dwindle and the prices remain firm IMHO. After all depreciation is by far the biggest cost of running a car for the private individual.

Do not be seduced by the prospect of driving away a brand new car, that feeling lasts about a day at best and the cost of doing so lasts a lot longer and less you are very lucky.

Edited by GREZA

I would recommend a little lateral thinking. Turn down the emotions and think with cold hard logic.

The new car, any car will depreciate much quicker than a low mileage and relatively young second hand one that has already suffered its initial losses.

Furthermore, Fabia vRS MkII does not sit on the same spot as Fabia vRS MkI, it is too complex and it is petrol and it is no bargain pricewise.

Therefore as MkI cars fall into ever tighter hands, the supply of good ones will dwindle and the prices remain firm IMHO. After all depreciation is by far the biggest cost of running a car for the private individual.

Do not be seduced by the prospect of driving away a brand new car, that feeling lasts about a day at best and the cost of doing so lasts a lot longer and less you are very lucky.

Yes I know what you mean , I lost £7500 over 2 years on depriciation on my Mk1 Octavia vRS !! If I get an SE it will be under 40K miles and my prefference would be a Skoda approved used car from a dealership.

Well it's all about that elusive cost to change. Finally managed to get a test drive in the car I wanted to get (sorry not a Skoda!) and entered into haggling with the dealer. Dealer offered £6500 part-ex but wasn't prepared to budge on the list price of the car which I wanted to buy (to which the salesman had added SupaGuard and Gap insurance without any prompting). Told the salesman that I knew I could get it cheaper and still get the manufacturers 0% finance offer. He maintained that there was no way that was possible and said that whilst we had been out on the test drive a colleague had 'phone round and hadn't been offered more than £5500 for my car so I was getting a good deal. Needless to say I told him where to go and walked out.

I then proceeded to my next nearest dealer (only 20 miles away) and started haggling again. No mention of price or part-exchange value - negotiations were carried on purely on the cost to change. Came up with a cracking deal which matched anything I'd come across on the internet (and did still allow me the 0% finance offer!). In fact if I was prepared to take the car they had in stock they'd knock the price down by another £300 which is better than anything I found on the internet. Got the breakdown of the figures on the contract and the part-exchange value was.....

....£6K!:rofl:

I don't know what they're intending to do with my car (i.e. flog it themselves or trade it somewhere), but if anyone's looking for an SE you might try contacting Jennings Mazda in Middlesbrough and see if they'll let you buy it. It should be there early September at which point it will probably have about 33,000 miles on the clock and just over 11 months MOT....

Got the breakdown of the figures on the contract and the part-exchange value was.....

....£6K!:rofl:

I don't know what they're intending to do with my car (i.e. flog it themselves or trade it somewhere), but if anyone's looking for an SE you might try contacting Jennings Mazda in Middlesbrough and see if they'll let you buy it. It should be there early September at which point it will probably have about 33,000 miles on the clock and just over 11 months MOT....

Oh dear, glad you got the 'cost to change' deal that worked for you but really you will not want to see what they put your car up for in September and surely you would have done an even better deal by selling privately (via perhaps Pistonheads or this site) and then going in with nothing to trade?

WGAF what price fabia vRS's are advertised at (SE or not)?? Its the price they are being sold for *(or not) that matters. You can argue that you should be getting 8 or 9 K all week long but you will never argue hard enough to persuade a dealer to pay you it, unless the car you are buying is also overpriced/ unshiftable.

Oh dear, glad you got the 'cost to change' deal that worked for you but really you will not want to see what they put your car up for in September and surely you would have done an even better deal by selling privately (via perhaps Pistonheads or this site) and then going in with nothing to trade?

Yes, but on the plus side I don't have the stress and hassle of dealing with sales calls purporting to have buyers lined up for my car (I just need to pay an introduction fee), timewasters, chav's intent on thrashing the car, checking that people have insurance when they want a test drive, making myself available at a time convenient for people to have a test drive, bouncing cheques, dodgy escrow accounts, etc, etc...

OK, you'll get a better deal selling privately and going in with cash, but at what cost to your sanity??????emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Everything has a price and in this case I would suggest it has been at least £2k to you for a no hastle deal.

At most. As has been mentioned earlier in the post, the advertised prices are high, but the advertisements seem to hang around for a long time with those sort of prices which would mean they ain't selling at that price. I would reckon that £1.5K is a more likely figure and I can live with that.

Supply and demand as always.

The guides find it increasingly hard to put a price on cars that are appearing less and less frequently. It comes down to what the buyer will accept and if they want something enough then....

Just look at Audi A2 diesels and you will see what happens to a relatively limited production run as it falls into tighter hands. Good ones are still selling for very close to what they were new.

This could happen to Fabia vRS SE MkI cars as are there are only 1000, some will be written off and many will rack up the miles so the few that are left will be sought after over time. A future classic? Maybe.

Edited by GREZA