MFD3 getting lost

I've got an MFD3 fitted and it all works nicely most of the time.

However, a few times recently, the satnav has started off a hundred metres or so out, and got further out as I've gone along. :doh:

Obviously it's pretty annoying and not much use if I'm going somewhere I've not been to before.

Only once has it corrected itself as I've been going along, the other times it seems to have sorted itself for the next journey.

Anyone got any idea why it might be doing this?

I figure it can't be that it doesn't see any satellites, as it moves along when the car does and turns with it too.

Also, is there any way of telling the device to check itself and reassess it's position?

Cheers for any light anyone can shed on this !

The MFD3 will move along, even if it cannot see any satellites at all. The reason for this is that as well as GPS the MFD3 uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate its position.

You can check how many satellites are being seen by pressing MAP, then press it again and a small window will open, then use the dropdown list to select "GPS Status" and it will show the number being seen.

GPS failure is common, especially if you retrofitted the unit using a cheapo hockey puck receiver. Just buy another from ebay and swap out the unit. If your system was factory fitted new then you will need a new aerial base, usual cause for this failing is water ingress.

First try a reboot of your columbus - Reboot procedure (like a computer Ctrl/Alt/Del) is press buttons at top of columbus </>/i simultaneously.

I have had trouble when VCDS error report showed gps antenna not connected.

Problem resolved by removing the Columbus HU and repositioning the antenna cable located bottom centre of back panel. Test the unit while it is out to see GPS signal count jump from 0. You can check how many satellites are being seen by pressing MAP, then press it again and a small window will open, then use the dropdown list to select "GPS Status" and it will show the number being seen. I didn't disconnect ANY wires to do this.

Thread here describes how to remove the plastic surround to expose 4 screws for HU removal.

The MFD3 will move along, even if it cannot see any satellites at all. The reason for this is that as well as GPS the MFD3 uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate its position.

You can check how many satellites are being seen by pressing MAP, then press it again and a small window will open, then use the dropdown list to select "GPS Status" and it will show the number being seen.

GPS failure is common, especially if you retrofitted the unit using a cheapo hockey puck receiver. Just buy another from ebay and swap out the unit. If your system was factory fitted new then you will need a new aerial base, usual cause for this failing is water ingress.

The unit was indeed retrofitted, I think you put in a hockey puck type receiver didn't you ?? ;)