The new BMW X3 is out

Hmmm... Well it is not difficult to make something look better than the first X3 - those horrid small front lights with the angles in them especially. But this is not much better in my book. I still prefer a Yeti to this - AND the Yeti is a LOT cheaper to boot. This new one looks very pregnant in the lower rear bumper area.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/14/2011-bmw-x3-fills-out-adds-a-dash-of-sport/

001-2011-bmw-x3.jpg

Oh and look they also have a bag hook like the Yeti. ONE. And it can't be moved as it is fixed to the side of the boot. Bless them...

202-2011-bmw-x3.jpg

At least they have a proper luggage restraint net that can be used in the front and back:

200-2011-bmw-x3.jpg

I think it looks slightly better than the old X3 which really didn't do anything for me at all. However, it's edging towards X1 styling and I think that looks positively ugly. Whether it will grow on me remains to be seen.

Where BMW shine is their engines which are a very efficient blend of power and economy. The 182 bhp diesel sounds the best bet.

... and, of course, I wonder whether it retains the complete lack of any off-road ability as demonstrated by the Top Gear team in their infamous test when it got stuck on the very first trial.

Edited by davecarter

I don't think it looks too bad and it's way better looking than the ghasty X1.

However, I can't really see it being a competitor to the Yeti, not least because the entry level model comes with a 240hp 3.0 litre straight six!

If I wanted a posh smallish SUV then I think that I would go for an Audi Q5 instead. The latest BMW X5 is a handsome car (unless in full footballer trim) but their smaller X1 and X3 offerings do very little for me at the moment.

I think the new X3 looks great ! However this is not a SM competitor as there's no way you'll get any change out of £30k for anything half sensible. This will compete squarely against Q5 and Yeti will compete against cash cows IMO.

If I wanted a posh smallish SUV then I think that I would go for an Audi Q5 instead. The latest BMW X5 is a handsome car (unless in full footballer trim) but their smaller X1 and X3 offerings do very little for me at the moment.

I took a close look at a Q5 this afternoon and cannot imagine why, model for model, it costs more than £10k more than the equivalent. Granted there seems a tiny bit more space inside the Q5 but the quality of trim on the 'S' Line model that I looked at seemed very similar to that of the Yeti Elegance.

Leather quality and equipment levels were much the same and they also have a very similar drivetrain.

Those four interlinked circles are quite pricey! Almost as costly as the blue and white propellor. It will be interesting to see how Audi pitch the new Q3 when that comes out.

Edited by Trevorminor

I took a close look at a Q5 this afternoon and cannot imagine why, model for model, it costs more than £10k more than the equivalent. Granted there seems a tiny bit more space inside the Q5 but the quality of trim on the 'S' Line model that I looked at seemed very similar to that of the Yeti Elegance.

Leather quality and equipment levels were much the same and they also have a very similar drivetrain.

Those four interlinked circles are quite pricey! Almost as costly as the blue and white propellor. It will be interesting to see how Audi pitch the new Q3 when that comes out.

Speaking as a previous Audi owner, I think it's fair to say that the overall level of trim quality will be better in the Q5. I think it's the perceived quality that doesn't seem much different. To be perfectly honest though, I fail to see what you're actually getting more of for the extra £10K, in terms of bells and whistles, than the Yeti. The badge and fancy LED DRLs perhaps?!

As for space, well, I've removed the rear seats in mine because I'm off to the coast this weekend camping and I'm taking the Zodiac Inflatable and Mercury Outboard for a spot of fun on the water. So, the back is going to have all my camping kit, an Acoustic Guitar, Boat, Outboard Engine, plus all the other sundry items that go with it (fuel tanks, chandlery, etc.), food, beer, etc. etc.

I wonder if I could get all that stuff in a Q5 being as the rear seats don't come out. What's more I wonder, if I'd be happy cramming all that stuff in a £35 - £40K car and I wonder whether I would feel any more confident driving it around the campsite/beach.

Probably not!

I wonder if I could get all that stuff in a Q5 being as the rear seats don't come out. What's more I wonder, if I'd be happy cramming all that stuff in a £35 - £40K car and I wonder whether I would feel any more confident driving it around the campsite/beach.

Probably not!

Spot on Dave. That the seats can stay at home is one of the big reasons I got a Yeti too. Since I camp too.

I've been on many a camping trip with the A2OC so once I get my Yeti (and it is summer again) we should do a SMOC camping trip for sure.

I've been on many a camping trip with the A2OC so once I get my Yeti (and it is summer again) we should do a SMOC camping trip for sure.

I've got a contact with a nice site just outside town who might be very interested, and might even give the Yeti's their own area.

I spent a lot of time looking over a Q5 S line at the weekend. The Yeti is a great car but the Q5 appeared to be finished to a much higher standard in terms of material quality. My Yeti doesn't rattle as such but if you push against some of the dash surfaces you get a few creaks whereas the Audi felt like it was hewn from solid rock. Perhaps this is partially down to me owning a humble Yeti S but there was no mistaking which one was the more expensive car. Having said that, my Yeti cost less than £14k and the Q5 I was sitting in cost over £40kemoticon-0104-surprised.gif