Replacement Bumper Job

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand bumper to replace the one on my Mk1 Octy vRS, after searching for one for bloody ages! :)

2 Problems I was hoping for advice on please!

Firstly, I have Xenon's with Headlamp Washers on my car, but the "new bumper" doesn't have holes for the washers to poke through. Is this a major concern or can i just drill holes?

Secondly, the "new" bumper is scratched in one spot pretty heavily. Anyone had good results painting bumper scratches with touch up pens from halfords? want to avoid a costly respray!

Thanks all!

T

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand bumper to replace the one on my Mk1 Octy vRS, after searching for one for bloody ages! :)

2 Problems I was hoping for advice on please!

Firstly, I have Xenon's with Headlamp Washers on my car, but the "new bumper" doesn't have holes for the washers to poke through. Is this a major concern or can i just drill holes?

Secondly, the "new" bumper is scratched in one spot pretty heavily. Anyone had good results painting bumper scratches with touch up pens from halfords? want to avoid a costly respray!

Thanks all!

T

Touch up pens look gash at the best of times, especially if they are used to cover scratches. Save your pennies and get a spray job done.

Just drill a few holes

That how I did mine

DeFuzr_01.jpg

DeFuzr_02.jpg

I too have some repairs to do emoticon-0106-crying.gif

thanks guys, good to know the hole drilling is a goer!

I might give the pen a whirl and then if it looks ****e just go for the respray. shame because bumper is perfect other than that one spot! c'est la vie!

measure twice drill once....just measure where the holes are you your old bumper is and mask off the face where you are drilling (so it doesnt slip and scratch) then drill (hole saw is easiest) one just big enough to fit the sprayer part through and fix then clip cover over from outside.

Does the scratch go through to the primer, if not a cutting compound may be able to get rid of it, not tcut but something that a bodyshop would have like g3, go to a small bodyshop and ask them if they can do that rather than a respray, dont waste your money on a pen, it will look cr*p

measure twice drill once....just measure where the holes are you your old bumper is and mask off the face where you are drilling (so it doesnt slip and scratch) then drill (hole saw is easiest) one just big enough to fit the sprayer part through and fix then clip cover over from outside.

Does the scratch go through to the primer, if not a cutting compound may be able to get rid of it, not tcut but something that a bodyshop would have like g3, go to a small bodyshop and ask them if they can do that rather than a respray, dont waste your money on a pen, it will look cr*p

Good advice- thanks :) Yeah it's a fairly decent scratch alright, so I doubt they could restore it without applying paint. I will drive around a few places with it and get some quotes I guess, good thing is there's no great rush as my old bumper is solid, just damaged.

Edited by thomj42