Gear linkage part No.required

Anybody no the part No.for the plastic gear linkage bit that grips onto the cable as in Rob's nice photo I've pinched..

gearlinkage.jpg

Mine only has two fingers to grip the cable,and i am having problems and think it is slipping out of adjustment.I adjusted it as per the You tube link that someone kindly posted a while back.But after a while if 5th gear has been selected,it is a pig to get back into 2nd or 1st.Then 1st snd 2nd will be fine and its a pig to get into 5th.So if someone has the part No.I would be grateful

For future reference,if someone needs them,there are 2 part No's,as one pin on the gear linkage is small (8mm) and the other is larger(10mm).

1J0 - 711 - 761B(Bowden Cable Catch) 10mm bush

1J0 - 711 - 761C (Bowden Cable Catch) 8mm bush

N 908 - 159 - 03 (Lock washer) which is the same for both.

Unlucky for me,as I just found this out this morning.I ordered on friday from TPS in Edinburgh,Part not in stock and will not get till Mon.Just hope that TPS guy knows the score and sends 2 different ones and not 2 off 1JO-711-761B's.

Edited by kenny rsell

• 2 years later...

Just ordered two of these. Handy thread to have.

I tried the linkage reset as per Youtube vids and ended up snapping one of the three fingers that grab the thread of the gear selector cable :(

1st, 3rd and 5th can be difficult now, the fingers keep slipping on the cable. Bought two new ones and i'm tempted to fill the gaps in with Tigeseal to firm up the feel.

Edited by Philip W

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

If you grasp your gearlinkage shaft on top of the box where the big counterweight bolts to, can you feel large amounts of sideways free movement when you try to rock it?.

If you look here - http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk1/power_transmission/manual_gearbox_02j/gearbox_mechanicsoperation_constructiondiff./disassembling_and_assembling_the_gearshift_mechanism_on_the_gearbox_side_as_of_05.99/   You are looking for movement between parts 1 and 3.

Also, are you sure that you aligned the cables correctly, as most people need a couple of go's to get it right when they haven't done it before.

Hope it helps,

Phil.