Front end knocking

Hello guys and gals.

I am sorry if this has been posted before, but wasn't sure if what the issue could be.

Basically whilst driving my fabia vRS as soon as i turn a corner and it the road is bumby i can hear a knocking sound coming from the front (like a loose sound of knocking). It's not all the time, but does it quite often.

I have had the car up on axle stands and gave the wheel a good tug/shake and there doesnt seem to be any play in it.

Could this be something to do with the console bushes as i have heard they are common issue.

Thanks for any advice and hope all makes sense.

Chris

Edited by vRS chris

Mine does this exact same thing.

Incidentally I've had my console bushes done and it still does it.

Also had lowering springs on but it did this before all of the upgrades.

Got it booked into Awesome next week to have it looked at.

I've also been told it could be the top mounts, arb bushes and drop links.

Car has done 35K.

I'll let you know if anything solves it.

Well, it's not the drop links.

Awesome went over it with a fine tooth comb and found some play in the drop links. Got them to change it, as well as swapping the rear wheels to the front and it's still the same. Knocking noise and feeling when turning corners at slow speeds. They couldn't find anything other than that.

Also the steering clicking/creak is still there. Do you get that by any chance? Also it's continually pulling to the left.

Everything that it could be has either been checked twice over or changed, I saw another thread somewhere where the bloke had a knackered steering rack, I hope its not that.

Really really annoying me now.

Well, it's not the drop links.

Awesome went over it with a fine tooth comb and found some play in the drop links. Got them to change it, as well as swapping the rear wheels to the front and it's still the same. Knocking noise and feeling when turning corners at slow speeds. They couldn't find anything other than that.

Also the steering clicking/creak is still there. Do you get that by any chance? Also it's continually pulling to the left.

Everything that it could be has either been checked twice over or changed, I saw another thread somewhere where the bloke had a knackered steering rack, I hope its not that.

Really really annoying me now.

I dont have a steering click/creak and it doesnt pull to the left.

Yeh i hope its not a knackered steering rack as that isnt going to be cheap.

My money is on anti roll bar bushes. Put up with a knock in mine for a year and a half changing loads of parts. Noise eventually went away with changing the ARB bushes, despite there being no play in them at all...

Disco - If this carries on then they are the next things to be changes as well as top mounts just to be certain. I've still got a sense of dread though as the problems the fella faced with a knackered steering rack were virtually the same as mine. I think I'll contact the dealers and a few scrappies to see how much this may cost (gulp!)

Jonny - Got the tax disc holder too mate, looks class! Sorry for not replying sooner.

Cheers fellas.

hey guys mine does the same, changed the console bushes and drop links, i know the anti roll bars are common on them, my steering was squeaking alot, wd40 up the spring fixed it still fine 6 months down the road lol

felix_19 - Can you put into laymans terms what I need to do please mate? I havent got a clue where to spray.

Did your steering squeak as you were going over bumps too?

Cheers.

it squeaked all the time mate lol

if you get a can of WD-40, turn the steering on full lock ( all the way 2 one side) if u look up behind the wheel u'll b able to see the spring if u spray the WD-40up the spring to as high as u can get it should b ok.

once you've spray the WD-40 rock the steering from side to side 2 work it in,

this worked for me hope this helps

it squeaked all the time mate lol

if you get a can of WD-40, turn the steering on full lock ( all the way 2 one side) if u look up behind the wheel u'll b able to see the spring if u spray the WD-40up the spring to as high as u can get it should b ok.

once you've spray the WD-40 rock the steering from side to side 2 work it in,

this worked for me hope this helps

For both you guys, it's corrosion on the arb under the mounting bush, you'll more than likely need a new f arb and new f arb bushes, I ve seen/heard it a million times before

; )

If sound is heard whilst steering is at an angle, guess fault lies in CV joint.

If sound is heard whilst going over bumps, guess fault lies within the console bush/bushes/ suspension components/ ie drop links.

For both you guys, it's corrosion on the arb under the mounting bush, you'll more than likely need a new f arb and new f arb bushes, I ve seen/heard it a million times before

; )

A new bar aswell? I was gonna change the bushes but not the bar, suppose that's wat u get when everythings made of monkey metal lol

Felix_10 - Cheers for that, I'll have a do this weekend. I've got some high tech bike lubricant thats good with rubber and other such sort so I'll spray that liberally and see what that does. I'm still inclined to think the CV joints or steering rack may have something to do with this as it's feeling lose on the front and knocking when I'm turning corners. Its really pi55ing me off now. If none of this works it's going up in flames and I'm claiming on the insurance!

Surely awesome should have been able to diagnose this though? I'm anal about my cars and I'll chase every knock and rattle but this is quite prominent at low speeds.

Cheers guys.

A new bar aswell? I was gonna change the bushes but not the bar, suppose that's wat u get when everythings made of monkey metal lol

Ha ha, as long as the collars haven't started to separate you can just clean up the rust and flaking powder coat then grease it and put in new bushes

; )

Just done a 400 mile week and the car is constantly pulling to the left. I didnt have time to take it into awesome so took it to a local garage and they could not find anything wrong. Its ever since the drop links have been changed that the car is pulling to the left. The knocking is still there and worse than ever so I'm leaning towards it being the CV joints or drive shaft (please correct me if they are the same thing). Any ideas how expensive this could be? I'm still hoping that the steering is ok but the constant clicking when turning the steering wheel and when going over bumps is reall really annoying me!

Anybody else have any ideas?

Cheers.