Screenwash - Thick or not?

EdmundBlackadder

After a week with my Yeti I had it booked in today to iron out one or two niggles, single blip opening on the key fob, dodgy mw reception. Whilst I was there I asked about the rather feeble spread of screenwash on to the front windscreen from the washers. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the washers, they are a fan style that uses a reduced amount of screenwash. The mechanic admitted they were a bit feeble but that was the style of them. Fair enough but he also said that style of nozzle can clog if the screenwash is a thick chemical and that I should use the Skoda screenwash. Now clearly that was a sales pitch but is there anything in the claim about needing a certain type of screenwash and if so which makes, other than Skoda's own do people recommend?

I've heard of this happening before, and seen clogged fan jets on a Fiesta from using nasty screenwash.

Next time your in Halfords or similar, read the back of a few different types of screenwash. A lot of them now state there safe for fan jet style washers.

The two screen wash products I use (without problem so far)...

- The official Skoda one (which they provide included in the service price), and lasts a long time because its very concentrated and you just need a little drop of it. Price isn't too bad either.

- The concentrated Halfords one in the blue container (the liquid is flurescent yellow). Its better in the cold winter, and even with strong concentrations hasn't caused problems with my fan jets.

Rossm - What is the mix ratio of the Skoda screenwash? If it is a high concentrate one then the price was not bad and I will use it. On my last car I used a Lidl W5 screenwash in the spring/summer/autumn that had a 1:100 ratio. I didn't believe you could have a concentrate that strong but it was good stuff. Two years on and I am still using the first bottle of concentrate.

I have used the Halfords concentrated screenwash with no problems and I do find the fan jets very effective covering 3/4 of the screen area.

I was wondering if your pipe to the screen jets had a kink or was trapped in the bodywork in any way?

The mechanic said they are working fine. I probably just need to get used to them. My last car fired out the liquid at high speed, very manly, and this is just a different style of jet, very girly. In a few months I'll probably not notice them.

Somebody mentioned on another thread that when a car is running really well you start looking for silly imperfections that are not really there. I suspect I am in that territory here.

I've used the Halfords concentrate for years - 2 Octavias, 1 Fabia VRS, and now the Yeti and our new Fabia - all with fan type screen jets.

No clogging problems whatsoever. Its widely available and, as I travel a lot, its a lot easier to find a Halfords than a Skoda outlet.

The Skoda stuff is good though - probably better. It always get used after a service (the screen wash reservoir has to be emptied, flushed and refilled as part of the service.

So, go for your Skoda service with a near empty reservoir!

They do seem feeble, but also do work OK.

If the nozzles get clogged, it is most likely calcium from hardwater addition, which will evaporate at the nozzle. You can easily remove this with a small brush, filled with household citric acid or even vinegar - the kind of stuff used for de-scaling coffee pot and electric kettles. DO NOT USE THE STUFF INTENDED FOR THE LOO!!!

If you have a condensing clothes dryer, the water from there is very soft and can be used to dilute the concentrated stuff you buy.

Oh, the original windshield wiper blades are usually made by Valeo. ADAC test the AeroTwin blades some time ago and concluded that the original Bosch blades were much better.I have used the Bosch blades on my Octy and the Yeti will get Bosch blades shortly, as they need replacement.

Incidentally, both wipers and wash works fine at close to max speed. (I don't do 200 km/hr in the rain!)

VW group cars have used fan style jets for a number of years now and, whilst they may not look powerful, are far more effective at distributing the water across the screen. I use Halfords concentrated screenwash aswell (apple flavour because the car smells like cider when you squirt it). Any screenwash with an additive to prevent scaling up is essential for these fan jets. Never had a problem with the Halfords stuff. Just don't use plain water.

Have been using Morrison ready mixed screen wash have not noticed any problems, I have eight containers of the product as it was a bog off . I think Skoda would tell you use their air for the tyres if they could charge for it.