Highest Mileage on VRS TDI PD

Folks,

I have a VRS PD TDI which I really like. It has 40k miles on clock with no issues so far. Now I am wondering whether to keep it or not. I really like the car and the way the PD engine delivers the power. However I have concerns re the reliability and potential costs associated with this model, DMF, Turbo and ABS / ESP unit etc. To assist in making my mind up I wondering what are the highest mileage VRS TDI PDs out there. If you own one can you post what mileage you have covered and what issues have you encountered? Thanks in advance and apolgies if it has been asked before!

Biffo

40k?! That's not even run in! :)

I've seen PD140s on sale with upto 180k on the clock. And I have no doubt that there's taxis running around the country with mileages much higher.

Yes, as mileage increases so does the potential risk of issue - but that's the same with any car really, in statistical terms. And you have to of course compare that against the cost to change to another vehicle.

Steve

40k?! That's not even run in! :)

I've seen PD140s on sale with upto 180k on the clock. And I have no doubt that there's taxis running around the country with mileages much higher.

Yes, as mileage increases so does the potential risk of issue - but that's the same with any car really, in statistical terms. And you have to of course compare that against the cost to change to another vehicle.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes it is low mileage and I sold my own 1.9 MK 1 with 168k on clock. it is just now my car has run out of warranty and i would like to know , on average, what kind of mileage can be put on the VRS PD without serious issues arising. Thanks for the reply.

Biffo

90k here in 3 years.

Nothing serious apart a slight coolant loss at the moment and 4 DPF pressure sensors!

Steve

Thanks Steve. Thats exaclty the kind of info I am looking for.

Bif.

74k here no problems so far. Only owned it for the last 2k but previous owners never mentioned any issues. :)

touch wood touch wood touch wood touch wood touch wood etc etc :p

I got rid of my last one on 87k miles (2 years old) -

6 weeks after going over 60k, and therefore the warranty expiring, I had to have the turbo replaced, a month later the air-con compressor went, then the following month one of the injectors went along with the pump - Seemed to me the car knew exactly when it went out of warranty and decided to empty my bank account! Guess I had a proper Friday afternoon car there - Before all that happened, I just had the normal pressure sensors going (3 or 4, can't remember exactly), but nothing much else...

Strangely enough it didn't stop me buying another one...(although must admit it was only because of the facelift, and the good deal I got on it)

Edited by Mash

DAMN! I've not lost a single one of those. My turbo's on it's way out though at 38k :(

just had my turbo replaced today under warranty, car on 61k

just had my turbo replaced today under warranty, car on 61k

What were your symptoms leading up to that? I've been getting terrible boost spikes and it's just started getting really loud - sounds like the bearings are screwed.

What were your symptoms leading up to that? I've been getting terrible boost spikes and it's just started getting really loud - sounds like the bearings are screwed.

i was getting a high pitched whistling sound, but no loss of power...........

No sign of a replacement white one then Nick ?

you had it replaced ?

Yep, the noise kept making me think there was a police siren going off behind me or something - I couldn't afford for it to be off the road due to a 200 mile per day commute so took it in to a dealer and they had a good look at it - forgive me for not being very technical here, but the bit in the turbo (turbine?) that spins was wobbling about all over the place and was ready to 'go' so as I was only just out of warranty (68k miles) I managed to get 70% goodwill (parts only) from Skoda - thought it best to do then, rather than wait for the invevitable and then get less goodwill - glad I did considering everything else that went wrong each month after that...

Edited by Mash

Folks,

I have a VRS PD TDI which I really like. It has 40k miles on clock with no issues so far. Now I am wondering whether to keep it or not. I really like the car and the way the PD engine delivers the power. However I have concerns re the reliability and potential costs associated with this model, DMF, Turbo and ABS / ESP unit etc. To assist in making my mind up I wondering what are the highest mileage VRS TDI PDs out there. If you own one can you post what mileage you have covered and what issues have you encountered? Thanks in advance and apolgies if it has been asked before!

Biffo

Not a vRS, (that's on order), but my VW Touran PD 170 (MY07, BMN engine code) has just turned 105k in 3 years or so. It's gone pretty much as below:

18467 1st Longlife Service

22210 VW Roadside Assistance due to Engine Management Light – Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor – Fault Cleared

23489 Manual Workshop Regeneration of DPF

36236 2nd Longlife Service

52364 VW Roadside Assistance due to Engine Management Light – Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor – Updated

54482 3rd Longlife Service

60597 Cambelt and Waterpump

67061 A/C Service, Brake Fluid Change (2 yrs)

70354 VW Roadside Assistance due to Engine Management Light – Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor – Updated

73056 4th Longlife Service

82486 VW Roadside Assistance due to Engine Management Light – Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor – Updated

91714 5th Longlife Service

93156 VW Roadside Assistance – Poor Starting – Referred to Dealer

93604 Fuel Filter Replaced – Blocked – Guide is every 50k according to dealer

So, the third Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor seems to have cured the Engine Management Light problems and I hardly ever hear a forced regen anymore. Fuel economy is up too.

Fuel filter issue was annoying, retrospectively advised to specify replacement every second service when VW only have it in the schedule once every 50k apparently. (Always run on BP Ultimate Diesel... which is supposedly clean.)

Hope this helps...

-

I have over 100k on my own, it is a second hand one and apart from the usual maintenance parts she is fine so far.

Thanks to all who have replied. please keep them coming...i.e. what mileage have you covered and did you have any major issues? Thanks

Biffo

Keep in mind forums do generally show a negative image of a car, people are far quicker too complain out loud then praise out loud. Don't see a few people mentioning a few faults with the car & let it put you off entirely! :)

105K in four years on my '06 140 BHP PD and the only thing I have had so far has been the way out suspension when I first got it, and the rear wiper is feeling a bit sorry for itself and seems to want to run slow some of the time. Other than that its still running fine and preping for another trip to the Isle of Man towing my huge trailer and two bikes, its seen well over 120mph on the clock up the mountain mile (the only thing was it still felt slow compared to my CBR600RR).

Its a company car and we aren't tied to any mark, but I have still placed the order for my next one. A white vRS estate should be on the drive early November.

45k, just over 3 years old now. Air con compressor went and was replaced under warranty (could have happened with any engine!) and ABS/ESP sensor unit was replaced, but again this is a fault common on VW group cars of recent years, and again that was done under warranty. Nothing else to report.