Skoda Windscreen Wash

As it's summer I currently use the Lidl screenwash. Dilutes alot, is cheap (99p a bottle, now 49p I think if any stores have it left as it's one of the specials) and works well. No good for winter though as no anti-freeze.

Have tried several times at my local dealer to get screen wash and the last time I tried they even told me they don't do it???

Their loss, VW's 1 minute down the road.. and yeah, about 3.50 :)

Careful using the non VAG stuff. It's supposed to do the fan jets no good.

It's alright if you use it exclusively, but apparently some of the non VAG ones will cause sludge to form when mixed with the OEM stuff and clog the jets.

The Porsche stuff is excellent. Got a couple of wee bottles of concentrate on here ages ago, and I'm still on the first bottle :o

Dilutes like crazy and still does a great job. Until it freezes in the pipes in winter, as I found out the hard way :D

The letter of the law is you can only use the VAG fluid if you want your warranty maintained. If you use any other fluid and there is a problem with the system they can easily turn round and say no.

I use the Lidl stuff too. Damn good for the money.

The letter of the law is you can only use the VAG fluid if you want your warranty maintained. If you use any other fluid and there is a problem with the system they can easily turn round and say no.

Interesting point and one I've never considered hence never followed.

The manual states: "We therefore recommend using clean washing water together with the screen cleaner

from Škoda genuine accessories (in winter additionally with antifreeze) which is

capable of removing stubborn dirt."

Note "recommend" - doesn't mean it's mandatory...

The only time I've had a problem was this last winter. The car was serviced in the Autumn and since I don't use the washers liberally they hadn't needed a refill before the cold winter, whereupon they froze and subsequently the front bulkhead joint popped (something I missed to mention on another thread recently).

Edited by DRJ

Interesting point and one I've never considered hence never followed.

The manual states: "We therefore recommend using clean washing water together with the screen cleaner

from Škoda genuine accessories (in winter additionally with antifreeze) which is

capable of removing stubborn dirt."

Note "recommend" - doesn't mean it's mandatory...

The only time I've had a problem was this last winter. The car was serviced in the Autumn and since I don't use the washers liberally they hadn't needed a refill before the cold winter, whereupon they froze and subsequently the front bulkhead joint popped (something I missed to mention on another thread recently).

There HAS been several examples on this forum where warranty work has been refused due to incorrect screenwash. Recommended means they can do what they want about it.

ISTR a post showing an internal letter that screenwash would be tested and warranty repairs refused on none VAG screenwash.

It's amazing how this same topic just keeps coming up. I can't find that letter (Although it is here somewhere) but there must be at least 25 similar threads from the last year.

Edited by Decron

I use the Lidl stuff too. Damn good for the money.

A few points against this,

1) most cars here are well out of warrenty

2) VAG screenwash is a rip off, specially more so in the winter months when you need to use it neat

3) New screenwash jets are about £3 each (non heated ones) for the Fabia - I replaced mine as soon as I got the car (it was a 7year old 2nd hand car)

I wouldn't worry about which type of screen wash to use in other words!

A few points against this,

1) most cars here are well out of warrenty

2) VAG screenwash is a rip off, specially more so in the winter months when you need to use it neat

3) New screenwash jets are about £3 each (non heated ones) for the Fabia - I replaced mine as soon as I got the car (it was a 7year old 2nd hand car)

I wouldn't worry about which type of screen wash to use in other words!

Yes but when it freezes it pops off the joints at several places which then become a pain to fix, especially behind the front bumper assembly or in the rear passenger compartment, use the anti-freeze version, you have been warned.

DB.

If you use the generally blue stuff that says it's flammable you will have no problems in winter the alcohol content will stop it freezing in all but the most extreme conditions I have never had a problem.

This stuffs generally about £1 a litre from all supermarkets, car parts places, DIY shops.