2007 PD140 Estate DSG - what to look out for

Is there a Buyers Guide somewhere for the Octy II ?

I'll be looking at a 2007 Elegance Estate this Friday with a view to buying. It's got the PD140 engine. 70,000 miles with Full Skoda History. Think it's due a service in approx 4000 miles (Variable).

When is the cambelt due on these engines? I'm betting this one's due at the next service :(

I've already looked at the car inside and out, but no test drive until Friday. Body looks very good as does the interior.

This has a DSG gearbox - am I right in saying this has a Dual Mass Flywheel? If so, what do I need to check for?

Looking at Parkers reviews, I've seen mentions of leaks. Where should I be looking to check for these leaks? I won't have to avoid parking uphill as I did in my old Superb will I? ;)

Is there anything to check for with regards the DPF?

Anything else that I should be looking / listening / feeling for on the test drive?

Any advice greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Edited by kprm77

i had i realy bad noise on my 1.9 dsg, the dealer i brought i brought it of told me that it was just a characteristic of the octavia.

phone skoda care they told me to take to another dealer. so i have taken it to fish bros of swindon.

they phoned me this mornining and told me it was the alternator pully car will be ready wensday morning :thumbup:

If you're worried about leaks check the carpet by the door sills of the driver and passenger's door particularly for any sign of damp. My car tends to collect water in the doors when parked uphill (It runs out as soon as the car levels out or the doors are opened), but none of it ever gets into the passenger space. If your driveway is flat you'll probably never seen any of this of course...

Kevin,

Just have a good poke round, press every button and make sure they all work, if you are concerned about damp lift the mats (if there are any and have run your hand over the carpet (if it rains within a day or so of the test drive).

When I went looking at mine I had a good look round at the bodywork and crawled underneath to see if all the plastic undertrays were there and check for any obvious damage. Check out the Service history book and any receipts it comes with.

Also have a little listen for this noise as it could mean that the turbo is on its way out.

th_P1080948.jpg

If in doubt get an AA/RAC inspection carried out for a little more piece of mind.

I look forward to seeing the new motor soon :thumbup:

Matthew

Edited by matt@theforce

Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

With the leaks I wasn't sure if it was as bad as the Superb where the water gets in and collects where the ECU is causing no end of damage. The Mrs' Seat Leon leaks on the front doors so definately sounds like a VAG thing.

Thanks for the Vid Matt - I'll listen out for that scalded cat noise on the turbo.

Anything else to watch out for?

I have the same car but 2006, I have replaced the EGR valve at 120k (€800) (km´s) changing the DMF next month (€1,000) as it has started to make a noise, Make sure the DSG has had regular oil changes every 60k (km´s). Listen for the DMF, there is a rattle when it is cold in P or N. Only just changed the brake pads at 130k. watch for uneven tyre wear, mine was bad until I had everything laser alligned and now no problem. Be aware that when you go for a test drive the ECU/DSG may take time to adjust to your driving style, also make sure that all of the gear chages are smooth up and down, especially 2nd on the way down. apart from that i love my car and would heartily suggest you get it.

Make sure the cam belt has been changed, or will be before buying as it expensive and due at 4 years. Also remember that the DSG oil has to changed every 40k so is coming up due again soon and this isn't cheap either.

Check the service history to be sure the Brake Fluid was changed last year or its also due every 2 years.

Not sure a PD140 this age will have a DPF

If a full Cam Belt/DSG/Brake/Aircon service and new MOT is not done before buying knock £1,000 of the price - Service will cost £6-800 depending on where you get it done

But a great car if in puka condition and a remap will improve the drivability no end

Oh and the DSG box gear change should be totally un-noticeable in normal driving - also check the up/down shifts in manual mode are smooth and Sports mode works - shifts are likely to be a bit more noticable but should still be smooth

Edited by Octavia5

Good luck with it.

Only thing I'd add is that no PD140 Octy Mk2 has a DPF. It's only the PD170 in the vRS, and then the CR range of diesels, once the PDs were phased out.

Steve

Thanks for all the advice :thumbup:

Drove the car today. The car had full Skoda history, but the cambelt would be due in 10,000 miles (assuming it needs changing at 80,000 miles). There was a very (very) slight vibration which felt like a lesser version of my old Superb when its Dual Mass Flywheel was going. There were a couple of other minor issues too, so I said no. Dealer didn't help keeping me waiting for 30 minutes whilst they saw to somebody who'd just walked in, and I had booked theappointment / test drive 5 days earlier! (Wasn't a Skoda dealer by the way). They also gave me the keys to the wrong Octavia. Won't be going there again..

I'm thinking now that I should either go for a 2 year old car or newer, or just keep my Saab. I'll see what's about. Thanks again for everyone's help :)

Ah well, at least you've seen it now. Maybe best to get a few viewings under your belt, before making a decision. Allows you some comparison and the ability to benchmark one example against another that way :thumbup:

Keep us updated :yes: