CAD files for brembo caliper carriers?

I am looking for a CAD drawing of a carrier to mount 130mm centred radial Brembos to a mk1 Octavia, the ones I am thinking of using are off an Alfa but they will take a 330mm disc. I am looking for the CAD drawing as my brother in law has the required facilities to produce what I need so don't want to spend money where not needed if I can just get the drawings (as long as they are right!) :D

hi Karl, nice one, good plan, i have some carriers to run 312mms with brembos, i also have the ones on the car which are for the lcr setup, not sure about fitting a 330 disc though, whats that off?

thing to think of is the big brembos off some of the cars are really quite heavy and can have a negative effect on the weight of the front end.

Daveb om mk4.net makes carriers, might be worth seeing if he does, also there is a german company......trying to remember who they are..will think.

anyway what disc, as if its not a common size then carrier details will be hard to find too.

330...ap maybe do a disc that size, or hispec, just trying to think

ha, i remember, they are mbt

http://www.mbt-engineering.de/EN/Products/mbt140.html

http://www.mbt-engineering.de/EN/Products/va_996T_330x34.html

just check mounting points measurments against the alfa brembos

shows with a 996 caliper 330mm is no issue though B)

does that help at all?

interesting reading too...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/144099/958338.aspx

thing to think of is the big brembos off some of the cars are really quite heavy and can have a negative effect on the weight of the front end.

Yes, don't exceed the weight of the OEM setup or your ESP will be unhappy :o

I didn't realise this and put on some calipers from a DB7

Brakes_01.jpg

Very effective stopping power, but caused the front of the vehicle to break away

ESP didn't know what to do and made things worse ...

I got the weight of the OEM stuff, and then got several manufactures to weigh there calipers and discs, I chose the best performance to weight option.

That worked out at the CompBrake 6pots

Brakes_02.jpg

TBH the breaking isn't any better.

The weight reduction has solved the handling/ESP issue.

Edited by snow_muncher

I have already been in contact with DaveB via uk-mkivs.net and he is a top bloke but I think he is getting out of "all things Brakes" soon, I have one caliper from an Alfa 159

100_1682.jpg

which was a luck purchase on ebay and I have a source for another at a reasonable price, the calipers are 130mm hole centres like the Posche ones. After speaking with Dave I have got to the stage of knowing what discs to use (Alfa 159/Brera 330mmx28mm which are a hell of a lot cheaper than other 330 options and a great match to the caliper!!) with a small amount of work required to sort the PCD. The hub on the Alfa is a little larger so it will fit but I may get a collar made up to reduce the stress on the bolts. If I had a big pot of cash I would have gone to daveb for the lot as he prepares everything really well, but finances being what they are and me being a bit of a pikey I want to get things as cheap as possible. I have access to machineshop and a forge so hoping to get some CAD files for the Porsche radial calipers that may just need a bit of tweaking.

The only thing that I am not sure of is that both pistons are the same size? this has the benefit of not really being "Handed" so I can get one from either side and by changing the bleed nipples and cross pipe get what I need. But if the wear rate is not exponentially worse than staged pistons then the cost saving with the discs will more than make up for it.

Edited by karlbar2k

Snow_muncher, I am thinking that the 159 caliper looks just like the DB7 one, what discs were you using with the caliper and how much heavier was it than the compbrake setup? did you change wheels as well to help with the weight reduction.

yea yea, you have been saying that for nearly as long as its taken snowmuncher to get his flippin engine changed......it seems like years ;)

I believe the calipers where also fitted to alphas.

Will have to look up the weight figures, sure I've got them somewhere ...

My wheels @ the time where R32 replicas, which whilst heavier than real R32 wheels, weren't much heavier than the OEM 16" ( which they replaced )

The CompBrakes are lighter than the OEM setup so no need to change wheels.

I did however end up with a set of real R32 wheels, and they are noticeably lighter.

So in the end I've ended up with lighter than OE brakes and wheels

It's been quite noticable how all this weight change has effected the handling. With loads of weight up front, the vehicle basically handled far more like a front wheel drive car (ESP issues aside).

Now the weight has been reduced from front, its handling far more like you'd expect a 4x4 to handle, being more balance through corners

I do have the advantage of extra weight in the boot due to all the spare bits, tools and LPG tank to help balance the handling and not sure how much of a difference there is between the 16" Ride alloys vs the 17" Spiders that are on at the moment. I am also already on 312mm discs and carriers with no issues. I would have though the newer Brembo monoblocks were lighter than some of the older two piece designs though? may need to make sure the carriers are 7000 series Alloys instead of steel? maybe a nice set of TD 1.2's to help get the weight down as well.

So what were the issues you had with the ESP?

more expensive bremobs are mono block, not sure how many brembos coming off cars uprated production cars like the alfa above have monoblock, would have thought they would be two piece.

Edited by sweedish

Those brembo calipers I've removed, were a single cast unit - I assume this means mono-block ?

They're an alloy casting too.

As an aside, DB7 and Jaguar XK (same car, or was the one before the XK ?) got slated for having pants brakes - kept warping discs I believe - too softer steel used in OE disc.

The discs I had were EBC aftermarket ones, so not something I worried about.

The ESP issue manifested itself as the front wheels braking, then re-applying power in a random manner between each side. i.e. left side braked, then right, creating a juddering effect and allowing the nose of the car to carry on swinging round in the direction of the turn.

ESP failure light flickering on and off.

1st and worse time it happen was on a roundabout, which despite heavy traffic at the time, seemed to miraculously clear in front of me as the car lost the plot :giggle:

Only time the car has ever lost control during a period of "limited traction" :D

I've been looking for weight info. Can't find it, so will go & weight the old bits again ....

Edited by snow_muncher