Which MPV?

garym2000

I am sadly selling my Octy vRS (I Must and probably am absolutely mad!)(http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?p=241959#post241959)

I need a good fuel economy diesel MPV to carry around my increasing family. How would people on here rate the following, and which model to go for:-

Citreon Xsara Picasso

Nissan Almera Tino

Renault Scenic

VW Touran

(Have any of you got these as 2nd cars for example)

I Am thinking along the same lines

BUT

Why change your octy for a 5 seater MPV? (touran aside i think it can take 7)

The boot on the octy is huge compared to any of the above and carries 5 as easily as any of the above?

Fuel ecconomy is going to be worse even on the diesels compared to the cars.

In saying that a friend has a tino se tdi (new engine 136bhp??) it has all the toys, sat nav, parking camera, cc, electrics etc and goes well and looks ok imho, but its still only got 5 seats!!

i am looking at the zafira for the 7 seats and storage. very flexible but a vauxhall!!!

Had a Picasso Hdi sx in 2000 for 2 yrs, and I must admit apart from stupid niggling design faults it was a trouble free car. Excellent fuel economy from a quiet but p'raps underpowered unit..90bhp. Believe the new 1.6 Hdi 110 bhp engine is vastly superior, with overall fuel consumption figure of around 55 mpg! :thumbup: I used to get the mid to high 40's out of mine.

Even the mechanics rate it as a relitively trouble free motor.

If you're buying 2nd hand try and locate one with the darker top of the dashboard. The earlier ones..like mine ..were finished in a pale brown/beige colour and caused major reflection trouble. Used to throw a dark coloured jumper on the top to cure that problem. Only affected on sunny days, so not too big a problem I suppose. :rolleyes: New model due 2006

The Tino I think is a horrible thing. Interior is VERY flimsy and the seats always seem to look stained and mawled on 2nd hand versions. Must be due for replacement soon

Scenic..it's a Renault, with all the inherent reliability issues that they seem to come with. Parts prices are astronomical...so don't buy one out of warranty.

New/current model an improvement, but it's still a Renault

Zafira seem to be reasonably well respected..and with those little extra 2 seats in the back too. Wouldn't put my kids in them mind.

Watch out for torn interior plastic/vinyl trim, especially on the door pads and dashboard. VERY common problem..I'm forever fixing them. Also note a new model is apparently coming out next year.

Fiat Multipa...recently restyled, boy it needed that! Suprisingly good, and 6 seater too..3x3. Interior's once again a bit on the flimsy side, but quite funky with bags of room.

Don't know anything about the VW range...too expensive IMHO. ;)

Had a picasso as a hire car last year - it was a diesel but not sure which engine.

I was impressed with it, and did think about one myself at the time.

I've driven a few Senics and thought they were a reasonable drive but was a bit surprised by the lack of space in the boot.

My cousin has a Zafira which I've driven on occasion. I agree with C.J. about the spare fold down seats. What a fantastic idea to store passengers in the crumple zone.

My sisters just bought a SEAT Altea. Its a 1.9 TDi but i also think that they do a 2.0 litre diesel version.

Went for a drive in it over Christmas. I was quite impresssed. Was well specced and spacious - lots of cubby holes and seat variations. Nice touches such as the wipers disappearing beneath the pillars when not in use! Imagine you'd get good fuel ecomony - say 45+

you're also geting VAG.

Agree with above really, looked at Picasso and Scenic RX4 before the coming to my senses, picasso is nice drive, scenic is built like a renault...

Neither offer anything more than an octy estate...

Not sure how much room you need, but I have three daughters (aged 5, 3 and 1) and the octy is fine, but I can sense an MPV looming in the next year or so, would be nice to take a single car when taking relatives etc.

I drove the old shape previa (egg) over 400miles, very easy and nice to drive, mid-engined so shockingly good fun to drift on roundabouts :D

Like CJ, also had a Picasso HDi for just over 3 years. Just out warranty the cat split and dealer wanted £2k to put all the other silly problems right (had it regularly serviced by them as well!). Citroen didn't entertain any 'goodwill' gestures even tho' it was close to the warranty period!

Mrs O chose the next MPV in July last, and went for the new Scenic 1.9 DCi (120bhp & 6 speed). Lots of power as found the Picasso underpowered and very slack in cornering.

The Scenic is much better built than the Picasso, but also much more expensive. The engine is responsive, but I find gear changes awkward compared to the Furby's. Fuel consumption in the Scenic seems to be heavy - 40 mpg compared to 45 in teh Picasso.

I would not go for another Picasso personally. Don't know enough about your other options to comment, other than the Multipla is supposed to be terrific - just don't be seen driving it.

Have I read that right Oilymoyle? :eek: 2 grand for a new Catalytic converter with the associated problems it caused.That is bloody outrageous. :mad:

I'd have driven it down to Slough and shoved it through their HQ's front reception window. Scandalous. :thumbdwn:

This is the main reason why I WON'T be taking the option to buy our C5 at the end of the 3 yr contract term next year...Mrs C.J. likes it and wants me to purchase it. :rofl: Can just imagine it. Suspension failure 2 weeks out of warranty! That'll be 4 thousand please Mr C.J.

She can't see the reasoning behind having a new motor though with it's guarentee. Obviously thinks a 2nd hand one will never break down...and if it does, it doesn't matter, 'cus Fatso will pick the bill up

Thanks for all your advice folkes. Really love the Octy, but fuel economy kills me as I am sooooo tempted to always have my foot to the floor. I have gone for the picasso 1.6 Hdi in craply named 'Desire' trim level. Basically it cost me £2K to change from my 03 Octy into a brand new car. The 1.6 hdi has a 110BHP engine (as apposed to the older 2.0hdi which only has 90bhp), big plus is the fuel figures:-

Economy - Litres/100km (mpg) 1.6 HDi 110hp

Urban cycle 6.3 (44.8 mpg)

Extra Urban 4.1 (68.9 mpg)

Combined 4.9 (57.6 mpg)

57.6 mpg on a combined, this compares to around 35mpg on the octy, so quite a bit of fuel saving to do. Nice comfortable ride, and most of the toys that I have come accustom to in the lovely octy. It will be sadly missed though....

Thanks to all of briskoda for help and advice over last 18 months...

Thanks to all of briskoda for help and advice over last 18 months...

Why does this post sound as though your leaving us? You're not are you?

Must say from a slightly biased point of view p'raps, that I think you've made a good choice. Didn't hang around ordering it did you! :eek: