No Engine Management Light = No Error Codes?Y/N?

Hi,

I'm suffering with limp mode and turbo issues at the moment so while my car was in my local garage for something else I asked them to read any error codes for me.

He said that if the engine management light was not on then there would be no errors reported, is this correct ?

I asked him to check anyway and he said he did and there was nothing there.

Does this sound feasible or should I start looking for another garage?

Thanks

Think they can only be read by vagcom or vcds, normal code readers can't pick them up. Only the more major ones which trigger the management light can be read by code readers.

Not quite true, actually. The limitation with code readers is that they will only pick up codes relating the the engine management, but not things like airbags or air-con. What they will do, however is pick up 'pending' codes, which is where a particular sensor gives intermittent dodgy readings, which will only result in a light on the dash if a certain number of dodgy readings are detected in a given space of time. In fact, I diagnosed the faulty coolant temperature sensor on my car using pending codes, as whenever I got a light, I'd invariably not have it the next time, as the ECU had decided it wasn't really a fault at all, and had erased both the pending and 'actual' fault codes!

On a car the age of the OP's, I'd say that GBP30 spent on a code reader - or even a non-genuine VAG-COM cable to use with the shareware version of the software would actually be money well-spent. Having said this, I'd be looking at the vacuum pipes given the symptoms and/or an Italian tune-up if the turbo's variable-geometry...

HTH

Thanks guys,

So it sounds like my local garage has a basic code reader.

He told me he had all the same gear as the main agents but it seems not so ;)

I hope he reads this thread.

Can anyone recommend the cheapest code reader that I can buy myself that will get to the codes I need.

uk ebay links would be good.

I am very computerate and have a preference for serial port but dont know what would work with my vehicle.

If I just need a special cable and software and chance of links to items people know work?

Thanks in anticipation.

Keith

I have never seen the engine management light come on on my TDI, and mine has has numerous errors

overboost

MAF

CTS

etc

If you have a machine with a serial port, then suggest a knockoff vagcom cable from ebay, and an older version of vagcom (free)

ap0gee linked to this code reader in another thread.

Will this one read the extra turbo codes etc I'm after?

Might be simplest and handyest solution and about the right ££

remembering i have a 1998 TDi ;)

Edited by clinkerman

Turbo codes are listed in the book that comes with the scanner, so I don't see why not. In fact, there are quite a few functions I didn't expect in there - like VIN mis-match - but I suppose I can't guarantee everything's supported without having a faulty Octavia to test it on!

Then again, it costs less than taking it to the garage for a scan AND you get to keep it, so what have you got to lose? (Apart from 25 quid, of course! :p )

I've seen at least 3 VRS's with a 17705 fault code that doesn't show as a light.

Also mine is throwing an intermittent 17544 at the moment with no light (think it's either the vac hose under the mani or the air pump spitting its rivets)

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

i had a 17705 code and it dident bring up any dash lights. my car did act poorly till i used my 20 pound code reader from ebay on it and it erased it fine.

Its a u280 really good bit of kit

these cars always register codes and dont always bring up warning lights its always good to do a sweep once a year at service time for codes