strange metal breaking sound Superb facelift

hello friends and superb lovers,

I bought a superb 1.9tdi 105BHP, it brakes rather good no problem. But if I brake harder not even an emergency stop I hear a strange sound.

It is just on the end of braking, so when the car is almost still. it sounds more like a metal sound and its not hard breaking. The car has no ESP, only ASR.

I put the ASR of but still the same.

And yes, I checked the brake pads and disk and they are like new. The car has only obout 7000 miles on the clock!!!

It was from an old man, who couldn t drive it anymore.

I dont know what to do, visually everything looks normal. But its for safety, so I'm a bit worried.

Has someone also had this problem?

THANKS!

I'm not sure about that, but It doesn't sound normal. And I never heard this kind of noise in a other cars with ABS.

But is quite simple, do you as a Superb owner also hear this metal sound?

The disks look normal, no sleeves and straight.

regards

• 1 month later...

I had this on my 57 plate and it was driving me totaly nuts, it was always when breaking gently, and it was very intremitant, i was changing both CV joints and couldnt get the abs sensor so removed it and gave it a good clean with a dry cloth and have never heard it since................................ worth a try???????

Edited by Mikeytaxi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So just cleaning the abs sensor whil fix this. You a have this noise already when I just push a little harder on the brake pedal than you normal should...

the noise i was geting was very similar to the abs cutting in, but was getting it when breaking gently, but cleanig the sensor did cure this, to bo honest, i think wot u r getting is the ABS kicking in, especialy when ur breaking hard, this is supposed to do this...................

• 2 weeks later...

Today I drove the Superb for the first time in the snow. It was very slippery it was more ice than tarmac.

Now the noise is almost at every stop, just at the end of stopping. I think it has indeed something to do with ABS system, but I don't think it's normal that you hear a noise that scares you like hell.

What is the ABS doing, why is did not with another not SUPERB car?

THanks

Today I drove the Superb for the first time in the snow. It was very slippery it was more ice than tarmac.

Now the noise is almost at every stop, just at the end of stopping. I think it has indeed something to do with ABS system, but I don't think it's normal that you hear a noise that scares you like hell.

What is the ABS doing, why is did not with another not SUPERB car?

THanks

That is the skid control kicking in, sounds like someone removed the pads and replaced them with concrete, there should be a button on the dash to turn it of ESP I think it's called, try it with that turned off, the light will glow in the clocks, and see if that stops it.

That is the skid control kicking in, sounds like someone removed the pads and replaced them with concrete, there should be a button on the dash to turn it of ESP I think it's called, try it with that turned off, the light will glow in the clocks, and see if that stops it.

Hello, thanks for your answer.

Are you sure? I don't have ESP I have Traction control sytem TCS or also called ASR anti slip regulation. And this should only work during acceleration of the car, not when braking...

I did switch this butten of but no difference... pitty.

Its an ESP button on UK spec cars for sure. I read somewhere its supposedto disable ABS, but it still kics in on mine even with ESP turned off. It does however allow you to spin the wheels all through the rev range with it turned off rather than it kicking in trying to correct a skid. Useful to turn it off in some situations when stuck in snow.

Well i would have thought the ABS system takes into account the speed the car was doing....and bear in mind , on snow the car is basically floating, and of course the full weight of the car isnt taken into account as it is impossible to judge when in icy conditions, and therefore it will come on almost instantly........having said that, in dry conditions doing an emergency stop the ABS will act all together differently ....but in snow, its pratically useless........ a bit like the titannic when it saw the iceberg and the look out shouting turn turn !! doh

• 2 months later...

micheal d

have you sorted out the grinding brake issue.

not long put mintex pads in mine and they make a awful

racket.

john

I'm afraid that I not understanding well your comment :-)

So what do you mean with grinding brake issue. I know brake pads can make grinding noise, ... if they are on the end of their life.

But these are like new, and they are still the original one first fit pads. Car has only 6000 miles when I bought it!! I now have 16000 miles.

And when they make the noise, the car is not braking... so it must be abs system... I know. But why is it kicking in so early.fast.

I drove last week an 2007 ford focus, and I was braking hard even in that situation I didn't hear this noise. ABS is good, but i feel it's not normal if you brake a bit harder dan your grand father you activate the abs system.

Anyway is it possible to change the abs reaction time with VAG OBD software or something?

Thanks

Personally i would have thought the brakes in your vehicle given the mileage you have stated, are working correctly, it is quite possible that the brake pads are of a different manufacture, thus grabbing the discs sooner. Have you checked the pads to see if they are genuine skoda vw make?

As for hooking the car up to VAG and meddling with the ecu that maybe controls the braking system , personally i would'nt even go there. If the car stops well thats all you got to worry about, and maybe check other components of the braking system before deciding on the next course of action. Hope you get it fixed.

skodanut

michael d

the pads i have fitted are also new ones,we dont bother fitting part worn

pads to taxis.

the point i make is different compounds in the make up meen some pads

are in fact like some one joked earlier "concrete"

you cant tell the difference by apperance but when a brake pad lasts twice

as long as normal it must be either very hard or have some sort of lubrication

in built.

john