Replaced Turbo

ngoongiz

Hi

unfortunately my turbo blow a few weeks ago and I have now replaced it. it was originally a KKK turbo however, I was offered a Garret reconditioned replacement.

Unfortunately after having the turbo fitted it sems to be down on power and extreemly smokey(black smoke), so much so that I can complete coat the road in smoke when I put my fut down.

Any opinons on what could be wrong,

would the following items be causing problems?

EGR

MAF

Air Filter

Oil Filer

Fuel Filter

Incidentally the oil feed pipe to the turbo was replaced when the turbo was replaced.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Cheers

Sounds to me as though you've actually blown one of the boost pipe connections - probably the one at the bottom of the intercooler. I hope that was the problem AS WELL as the turbo, and not INSTEAD OF... :(

Sounds to me as though you've actually blown one of the boost pipe connections - probably the one at the bottom of the intercooler. I hope that was the problem AS WELL as the turbo, and not INSTEAD OF... :(

The garage said that the turbo was in two, so it had definetley broken,

How easy are these to check, is it a big job?

If it's completely blown asunder, you will be able to see the open ends through the little inspection hold on the underside of the front bumper (driver's side). Otherwise you can take the front bumper off entirely or just turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, unscrew the leading edge of the wheel-arch liner (Torx screws, but you can do it with a flat-head screwdriver or even an small Allen key if you need to), and pull the side of the bumper away from the wing to feel for were the boost pipe fits into. Your symptoms say blown boost pipe to me, though!

Thanks guys, on the way home the warning light for the Control system for exhaust gases came on the dash. Could this be due to all the black smoke going through the exhaust?.

Incidentally the car only blows the smoke when accelerating?, but when accelarating theres not the usual level of power there?

Is that an uprated garret? Can you do this and not have it mapped to suit? Sorry to spam your thread mate. Bet your glad it's just a blown pipe though eh!

Nah, it'l be the PD130 Garrett. They were used on the later BLT Fabias iirc. KKK's on the earlier Fabias

Near enough ALL fabias had KKK's, and if there were any Gt's they were on very early press cars, all SE's and final year ones were KKK

Matt

Definately KKK's on the SE, as mine blew and I have replaced it with a Garret PD150 unit. much better. however I to do have the excessive smoke and know there is a leak as I can hear a squeak when accelerating, so will be looking into this one very soon. I also know though the excessive smoke with full throttle with mine is the Re-map. Can't complain thats for sure...

But back to original thread,

Boost hose leaks don't always loose power just gain smoke. ends up being a high fuel mix in the system because of the lack of air being pushed in. only needs to be a tiny difference and it all burns different. this is why my re-map smokes big time under foot to floor acceleration. Over fueling....

cheers and enjoy.

I am in the process of replacing my KKK blown turbo and like yourself brought a Garrett pd150, the chap at Jabba said that he'd throw in the 'EGR' blanks. Any ideas what that means? Surely you don't blank of the EGR valve port off the turbo. Please excuse my thickness.

Chaps

Thanks for your help on this matter, you were indeed correct the hoses cost me around 104quid including VAT, had the car back today after being without it for a month on and off, such a great feeling to have boost back!

Cheers

Glad to hear it.

so whcih Hose was leaking, or did you replace all the bottom end hoses...