octy vrs estate rear arb

vrsjelly

It's the same fitment as for the hatch; I have the 28mm Neuspeed RARB on my estate (although it's not a vRS) that came from a mk1 Octy vRS hatchback. :thumbup:

I'ev got the same on my vRS combi too. Doesn't take too long to fit and use plenty of grease.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Necro thread bump.

I've been trying to fit my Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear sway bar to my VRS estate today since I had the axle out for the rear axle bushes and new shocks, but it does not make sense. Fitting it in accordance with the instructions the clamps won't fit, and if they did would crush/flatten the rear axle anyway due to the shape of it. Can anyone shed any light on this???

If I remember rightly I had to bend the u-shaped bolts a bit in a vice so I could test fit the flat plates on them, when you actually slot the brackets over the beam and tighten up the nuts they just need to be tight enough to hold the ARB to the rear beam, not so tight you crush the beam. The brackets don't follow the shape of the beam, you'll have a gap between the "tip" of the U and the beam

The only way I can see to do it though, is with the U shaped bolts going around the top flat part of the beam, rather than the curved area. Surely that can't be right????

I'm certainly not happy doing that if this is the case, and would rather sell it on than bugger up the beam.

Yep that's right, the curved bits go round the back of the beam so you get a gap between the curve and the beam.

Here's a pic of mine fitted to my old hatchback:

Image687.jpg

I tightened mine up pretty good but it didn't crush the beam. Had to trim the ends off the u-shaped bolts as they stick out a bit.

Would be interesting to hear if other bars are better fitting (H&R, Eibach, Neuspeed etc.) as I did think when I fitted mine it looked a bit odd :D

I wouldn't really have had any great issues fitting it, it would've gone as per the instructions, but there's no way I'm fitting it like that to my axle. Complete bodge IMO, and if any insurance investigator who knew his job properly examined it, he'd have a **** fit.

This is why I've not fitted a RARB. All the fitments I've seen look really naff.

I tried to get hold of some of these: http://www.bildon.com/catalog/DetailsList.cfm?ID=1CV.501.513.514

But VW Racing no longer make them. They gave me this response:

"The end plates for the beam were a nice mod that we used on most of the Golf 4-platform cars. Sadly, no longer available, although a decent fabricator could replicate them quite easily. We started to move away from them in our cars, and add in a rose-jointed bar from the middle of the beam to each of the spring platforms. These braced the beam very stiffly, and also allowed some toe adjustment to be made on the rose-joints. But again, no kit for that, just a competent fabricator!"

So maybe try the rod and rose-joint approach if you have the time.

Hmm. Something to think about. I even thought about bending the mounting plates to fit snugly against the beam where they are supposed to fit, and welding, but I started to think I'd end up weakening the beam.

I'm glad there's somebody else here who thinks they're somewhat of a complete bodge. Although given the username I'm surprised it's you. :rofl:

Obviously an ironic username then, I take it. :giggle: