How to: Secure boost pipe connection

JLneonhug

Hello,

If your car has a blown boost pipe or giving LOW PRESSURE warning, one of the reason is because the silly connections VAG use for their boost piping. Its easier to assemble in the manufacturing line but it does wear in time and the deign was not aimed for longevity.

Best solution is to replace them with stainless (or otherwise) pipes with silicone hoses, clamped together with jubilee clips. The alternative is to use cable ties to secure the connection sections together. I take no credit for this as it was suggested by many members on the forum here (many thanks to them), another member suggested to use self tappers and some silicone to secure the poxy things in place.

I merely took some pictures of what I have done and posted them here. Pictures tells 1000 words so most of below is babble :D

Ok so lets get started!

Step 1:

Find which connections are a bit loose or wobbly, you can do this by giving them a bit of a tug, if they budge by 2mm then thats probably where the leak is coming from.

There are 3 easily accessable on the top:

~EGR to 90 bend,

~90 bend to the 'long plastic straight'

~End of the plastic bit to the next 90 bend going underneath the driver side light.

The next 5 is not so easily accessible:

~ 90 bend to the Beginning of the intercooler (you will need to remove headlight to get to this one)

~ End of the IC to the next 90 bend (accessible when taking off the driver side wheel and mud splash [thingy] sorry I forgot the name)

~ 90 bend to the metal straight (same as above)

~ End of metal straight to somewhere else (same as above)

~ there is one more which links to the engine block? but I haven't dived any further than this as I think that's still ok for now!

1284715682956.jpg

1284716225265.jpg

Step 2:

Get some cable ties - I used 300mm ones and they seem sufficient,

Secure one on one end of the pipe,

Secure one on the other connection end

Secure two connecting them up, by securing two at 'opposite' ends when you tighten them they will not butt out on one side.

1284715712320.jpg

1284715733415.jpg

Step 3:

Test drive to see if everything is sorted.

If there is anything else I need to add please feel free to give me a shout. Pictures will be added shortly.

HTH.

Edited by JLneonhug

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...