Octavia 2.0Tdi 140PD

I have an Octavia II 2.0TDI 140PD and like everyone else have read the horror stories about dual mass flywheels. I have a bit of clutch squeal and am concerned that some time in the future I may need to replace the DMF.

What is the advantage of a solid flywheel conversion (besides reduced possibility of failure)?

I have heard that the initial acceleration can be adversely affected - is this true? If so, would a remap cover this, or am I asking for problems?

I am a non techie type so simple answers only please!! :)

Cheers,

Diggers

I have no experience with one, but have heard that it will actually help acceleration as it is often lighter, although it will be less smooth on the road and especially on idle

191bhp! Is yours the 2.0PD 140TDi? How dou you find it with that level of power & torque??

I have an Octavia II 2.0TDI 140PD and like everyone else have read the horror stories about dual mass flywheels. I have a bit of clutch squeal and am concerned that some time in the future I may need to replace the DMF.

What is the advantage of a solid flywheel conversion (besides reduced possibility of failure)?

I have heard that the initial acceleration can be adversely affected - is this true? If so, would a remap cover this, or am I asking for problems?

I am a non techie type so simple answers only please!! :)

Cheers,

Diggers

What age is ur car and what mileage ?

Not wanting to butt in on the OP, but I’ve got the same vehicle – a facelifted Elegance from Sept 09.

I thought I’d read that this issue had been resolved for more recent vehicles – am I correct or do I have need to worry?? :wonder:

A DMF basically smooths the provision of power from the gearbox to the driven wheels. As mentioned, a SMF will rattle like crazy at tickover. And these vibrations have to go somewhere. That's why I wouldn't use one either - gearbox, driveshaft etc are potentially at risk.

The downside is that if you attempt to transmit power through them with insufficient revs, they will judder. Once this starts to happen, it will shorten the life of the DMF and you'll be looking at replacing it. The golden rule is to allow the turbo to come on boost, before requesting any significant acceleration :thumbup:

This will explain it better than I can:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61626

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wardy

Wardy is on the money, you can see the figures mine has been running, this map has been on for about 2 years now runnign that power and the clutch and flywheel are still fine, I put it down to progressively feeding the power in.

As for how it is with these figures? well, to give you an idea of performance, Ive encountered a bug eye Scooby WRX and the Octavia sits neck and neck with it from a rolling start of about 30 to 100 on the local track (after that there is a nasty hairpin, lol), likewise, my friend has a 04 330ci auto and the Octavia pulls away (slightly) from it mid range and stays ahead until 3 figures, but we havent had tem to the track to test properly. All that and still 50+mpg with good space in the back and a good boot, its a hard car to top!