Radiator Fan stays on after shutdown

Chris-Soton

wondering if anyone has ever had this problem.

this afternoon when i arrived at home, i switched off the car and pulled the key out, when i got out of my yeti, i heard the sound from under the bonnet... which is wired. then i opened the bonnet and saw the fan was on. could anyone tell me whether this is normal or there has something wrong with my yeti?

at that time i really had no idea what to do... i tried to switch the engine back on, then off, and i found the fan turned off as well. don't know if there's something faulty under the bonnet..

pls.... anyone tell me what to do...

thanks!

Hi,

your Monster was finishing of a DPF regen, quite normal although a bit disconcerting first time round. May also of noticed the idle speed was slightly high at around 1000 rpm.

Regards,

TP

No dpf regens for my sm but I get the same thing in hot weather after a good 'run' after switching off (and I usually leave mine idling for a minute after parking up too!)

If the engine is off then it will not be the DPF regen. It's simply the engine management running the fan to combat 'heat soak' and will often happen to all modern(ish) cars petrol or diesel especially after a long run. This is where, once the car has stopped and been switched off, the metal of the engine will actually heat up once there is no moving air so the engine management prevents this. Perfectly normal and indeed necessary.

If the engine is off then it will not be the DPF regen. It's simply the engine management running the fan to combat 'heat soak' and will often happen to all modern(ish) cars petrol or diesel especially after a long run. This is where, once the car has stopped and been switched off, the metal of the engine will actually heat up once there is no moving air so the engine management prevents this. Perfectly normal and indeed necessary.

Yep, I go with this answer as well. Climbing up lengthy, steep inclines when on holiday (the oil temp got to 110) the fans stayed on after the engine was switched off and then stepped up to an even faster speed! It sounded like it was about to take off infact!! :o

However, if you have a diesel and you also get the smell then I'd say that was a dpf regeneration.

my yeti has done this three times now,also noticed a strong smell from the back end!..bit like me after a few pints and a curry :giggle:

mike.

Different chemistry. The smell after burning off the soot in the DPF is NOx. After your curry it is SOx and mercaptan. :wonder:

Poor description on my part I suppose, realise the regen will have stopped when the engine is turned of but the fan continues to run to get rid of the heat build up associated with the process. In my case the only time I have had fan overrun is when I've shut her down during a regen which can be identified by a high idle, funny whiff and sense of heat when stepping out the vehicle.

Regards,

TP

If the engine is off then it will not be the DPF regen. It's simply the engine management running the fan to combat 'heat soak' and will often happen to all modern(ish) cars petrol or diesel especially after a long run.

Yep, my 1982 Golf 1 had a fan that went on like this on hot days!

• 4 years later...

sorry to dig up an old thread but why would the fan on a 1.8TSI come on - full blast - for 5 minutes, them stop for 1 minute and come on again for 5 minutes, and so on. It's 5c outside and the engine wasn't hot or overheated….