Yawn - ANOTHER award for the Superb - Towcar of the year 2011

dbskoda

Caravan Club towcar of the year 2011

Skoda must need a massive trophy cabinet.

The Estate 170 (Manual Elegance I think) has won the overall award this year, the 1.8tsi gets an award (best in class) as well, as does the Fabia 1.6tdi.

db

Not to undermine it, but it wins because there is nothing to compete with it, the only competition is £15k on top of it, and a caravaner likes good value doesn't he. :p

How much weight can it tow?

1,400kgs for the 1.4TSi

1,500kgs for the 1.8 TSi & 105PD

1,600kgs for the 1.8 TSi 4x4

1,800kgs for the 140 & 170

2,000kgs for the 170 4x4 & the 3.6 4x4

Edited by Gizmo68

Dont get me wrong, I'n not undermining the car at all - the reason I started looking at the superb 12 months ago was because we were thinking of getting a caravan. Now that Ive got my estate I'm loving it!

The yawn comment was more of a tounge in cheek comment as it seems that almost every test/award it goes for, it trounces the competition.... and now that I've got one I can easily see why.

As for the weights, max tow on the 2.0D (140&170) is 1,800kgs, kerb weight of 1569 & 1577 (140/170).

I'll be getting a towbar fitted this/next week (Ive got the 140CR) & with the feel of the car so far it'll pull the front off the caravan there seems to be that much torque!

Altho I'm a caravaner, we do not tow with the Supber, we "Swop" Cars with my old folks instead - I don't want to "mess up" the back end of the Superb with an ugly tow bar (I know, get a detachable one and you'll never see it - so they say...) and some threads on here, say about bumpers being incorrectly re-fitted etc, causing damage does not fill me with confidence... so, it's a Kia Sportage for us as a tow-car...

Al.

I'll go with the towcar award!

Got my Superb Estate (Elegance 170 DSG) in May and had the caravan on it within 2 days. Spent two weeks in Cumbria and Derbyshire during the summer and it was excellent for towing.

For those worried about DSG and towing (and there are a few posts on here which don't rate the DSG for this), I found it to be almost perfect. I spent most of my towing time in drive, resorting to manual selection only to keep a low gear in long downhill descents.

My caravan is a Bailey Ranger GT60 running near its max weight of 1350kg.

hh

I'll go with the towcar award!

Got my Superb Estate (Elegance 170 DSG) in May and had the caravan on it within 2 days. Spent two weeks in Cumbria and Derbyshire during the summer and it was excellent for towing.

For those worried about DSG and towing (and there are a few posts on here which don't rate the DSG for this), I found it to be almost perfect. I spent most of my towing time in drive, resorting to manual selection only to keep a low gear in long downhill descents.

hh

With DSG you don't even have to revert to manual shifting for downhill holds - leave the car in cruise control (adjust speed with buttons if required) and the software is clever enough to change down to hold back the speed. Of course the brakes are OK if you want to use them instead and in any case that's why caravan have over-run brakes themselves. I probably tow with cruise control on for at least 80% of my main road driving - it's very accurate, effortless and with slight adjustments of speed I don't get any hunting between 4th/5th/6th gears up slopes - 57 to 60mph is the best for motorways where 6th is held virtually all the time, while 55 to 57 seems more comfortable on humpy A dual carriageways. As I reported in another forum, the engineering of the detachable Skoda bar is superb except one has to kneel to put it on and so without remembering the pad, one can get dirty.

Brian

hh

Yay HH, thats what I'll be dragging as well, got my towbar on today (fixed Westfalia) - looking forward to the next few weeks :)

Yay HH, thats what I'll be dragging as well, got my towbar on today (fixed Westfalia) - looking forward to the next few weeks :)

I have found it a great combination. I towed it with an A4 Avant 140 before and it was good, but the Superb is soooo much better!!!

hmmmm, I was previously towing with a 1.8 petrol Laguna (100k on it!) so I think I might notice aq bit of a difference :giggle: Heading over Blubberhouses to Harrogate, we were down to 2nd gear - not funny really, good job there was a crawler lane.

hmmmm, I was previously towing with a 1.8 petrol Laguna (100k on it!) so I think I might notice aq bit of a difference :giggle: Heading over Blubberhouses to Harrogate, we were down to 2nd gear - not funny really, good job there was a crawler lane.

You will still be glad of the crawler lane. It will give the people you are passing somewhere to go!!