Winter tyres & wheels - recommendations ?

I used to swap tyres back and forth before getting hold of a set of cheap original spec alloys. I think £10 corner is a good price if you can get that but it was costing me nearer to £60 each time after they had been re-balanced and had new valves etc. If you are keeping the car for a number of years a second set of wheels soon pays for itself when these costs are added up.

Just ordered 4 225/40/R18 Kumho-KW27s for ~ £350 delivered from Camskill. I'd fancied the Vreds or Nokians but they were working out about 190 quid more. No doubt they're better, but I just couldn't justify that for winters. I'm not going to be able to fit chains on the front this time around so if I drive to the Alps again I'll pick up some socks.

• 2 weeks later...

getting my steelies later this week from jaymd off here,

best rating for wet - cold - ice - snow grip seems to be Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's.

ive never had dunlops on a car before, but they are highly rated accross the board on many tire test websites.

the sp roadsmarts i had on my motorbike were awesome last winter, so i will see if the car tyres are as good as they seem?

Skoda 16" steelies £80

tyres (best atm) for 205/45/16's are 380 for all 4 fitted. :doh:

but £115 each on mytyres!

i would size the tyres at 205/55/16's but im sitting on coilovers, very low! ;)

so best stick with what i know works!