Skoda Superb dog guard

l've just got a Skoda dog guard from a dealer cost me £115.00 , got it home and read instrutions - you have to drill into the

plastic trim in the boot and top rear pillar trims .Think l'll have to get my dealer to fit it - don't fancy drilling my new car !

This will up an expensive dog guard !

When I placed the order for my car, the dealer told me that it needed bits drilling through the trim, the fitting wasn't much, it only added £20 to the price of the guard. I just need the car to be bukilt for it to be fitted.

Compared to the last time I had a guard fitted to one of my cars back in 1993, the guard was £130 for an Escor hatchback so with inflation I didn't think the Skoda price was too bad considering what I paid 17 years ago. Still not a cheap option though.

It's a shame the car trim has to be drilled - a future owner might not want a dog guard! I have a Skoda fitted dog guard on my Octavia and overall it is quite good - no drilling required. With all the awards the Superb Estate seems to be winning it seems a bit of an oversight from Skoda not to have thought through the provision of a dog guard. It is not that uncommon a feature on large estates.

Hi

its a shame they dont fit the vertical retractable net as found on Audi and VWs

it is in the manual but its a country grade option thats not offered in the uk according to suk

Andy

dog guard problems ! took my car to a dealers and left it with them for 2 hours , came back they could'nt finish the job

because a special tool is required to drill in the roofhead lining part ! . considering its an accessory fitting a dog

guard shoul'nt be this hard to fit . l'm going to ring skoda uk on monday and put a complaint in

• 5 months later...

l have been quoted £140 to fit it - may be it's revenge cos l never bought my car from them , so my £4500 saving is being eroded !

I have a feeling you're right but it was a decent saving!

I'm sorry to have to say that I ordered the Dog guard with the car from new and it didn't arrive with the car (no problem for me) but when it arrived in 2 weeks later it was fitted and I wasn't asked for a penny more... B)

Maybe I should have haggled harder when ordering the car :S but I must say that £140 does sound rather steep for a £115 dealer supplied option. I never noticed a dealer fitting charge & nor was I informed of one. I get the impression not may dealers have ever sold or fitted them, mine was the first @ Claybank's.

Like Andy I also wanted the retractable net, sent dealer off on a hunt (as it was documented in the car manual) and they had to admit defeat. Not sure if it will ever appear here :-( I hope not now!

Sorry to hijack but - sort of similar topic - does anyone have any suggestions for Roof bars for the Estate? Are the dealer ones best or Thule or a n other?

Stef

Edited by sk8tergirl

dog guard problems ! took my car to a dealers and left it with them for 2 hours , came back they could'nt finish the job

because a special tool is required to drill in the roofhead lining part ! . considering its an accessory fitting a dog

guard shoul'nt be this hard to fit . l'm going to ring skoda uk on monday and put a complaint in

We are having the same issue. The problem is not drilling it's inserting the rivnut into the roof that's the issue. Normally we use an adapter on a long handled pop riviter which squashes the insert up and leaves a thread in the hole. But because the hole is inside the window aperture there isn't enough room to get the tool in. Skoda list a special tool which is perfect for the job but it's currently on back order and we are waiting for it to come in. I should imagine it's the same for your local dealer.

I have a feeling you're right but it was a decent saving!

I'm sorry to have to say that I ordered the Dog guard with the car from new and it didn't arrive with the car (no problem for me) but when it arrived in 2 weeks later it was fitted and I wasn't asked for a penny more... B)

Maybe I should have haggled harder when ordering the car :S but I must say that £140 does sound rather steep for a £115 dealer supplied option. I never noticed a dealer fitting charge & nor was I informed of one. I get the impression not may dealers have ever sold or fitted them, mine was the first @ Claybank's.

Like Andy I also wanted the retractable net, sent dealer off on a hunt (as it was documented in the car manual) and they had to admit defeat. Not sure if it will ever appear here :-( I hope not now!

Sorry to hijack but - sort of similar topic - does anyone have any suggestions for Roof bars for the Estate? Are the dealer ones best or Thule or a n other?

Stef

I have used Thule bars on a range of cars- I know own a set of 120 and 135cm bars, a foot pack for non roofrail cars and and a roofrail footpack. Changing from Avensis estate (120cm bars, roofrails) to Superb Hatch (135cm bars although 127 recommended) and non roofrail footpack- cost to change £35 including postage from Roofbox co for adaptor kit. During the year roofrails take at various times for differnt reasons roofbox, roofrack or 4 bike racks. Wouldnt dream of buying manufacturer kit if Thule have a compatible set listed

Wouldnt dream of buying manufacturer kit if Thule have a compatible set listed

Hi, Thanks - I'm sure Thule will get a number of :thumbup: I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them.

There are cheaper alternatives but only having one experience with a "box" its aerodynamic, water tight & tough/durable.

Now time to find the best deal for the new bars...

Stef