Lights Inside The Yeti

mattytun1514

i wondered this myself.....seems a little silly having them on at night, as they do shine quite bright..and light up the gearknob/ your legs etc, i did wonder if there actually legal here in the uk( i guess not)

i wondered this myself.....seems a little silly having them on at night, as they do shine quite bright..and light up the gearknob/ your legs etc, i did wonder if there actually legal here in the uk( i guess not)

They are legal and are simply ambient lighting most cars have, even my fiesta has red spots which I quite like bit like being in a submarine tho lol.

Those of us who are taking delivery of monsters with sunroofs dont have them I believe !

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Edited by redandwhitepauly

There was a similar thread on this the other week.

Don't forget that iof you turn down the dash lighting with the rheostat, it also dims these as well!!

Personally I don't even notice they are on!!

They are legal and are simply ambient lighting most cars have, even my fiesta has red spots which I quite like bit like being in a submarine tho lol.

Those of us who are taking delivery of monsters with sunroofs dont have them I believe !

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

interior lights are illegal tho...and these do shine quite bright esp where i live in the darkest depths of yorkshire( no street lighting)...

This has been gone through on a previous thread.

First they can be dimmed. Second they are recessed so should not cause glare for the driver but, as Haggetted said, stick a piece of tape over them.

I found the glare from the Bolero distracting so it is now turned down to its lowest setting and is quite acceptable.

If internal lights are illegal, how do coaches drive around lit up like a Christmas Tree? Why are Map reading lights fitted? (Again, in the Yeti, these are recessed to minimise glare)

interior lights are illegal tho...and these do shine quite bright esp where i live in the darkest depths of yorkshire( no street lighting)...

Beg to differ interior ambient light is not illegal or they would simply not be allowed to do it !!!

Sorry matey but they are perfectly legal and nearly all new higher spec cars have em in some form.

Really, and would you care to share your source of this information?

Sorry, but utter rubbish!!

As has been suggested, use the rheostat to turn them down.

Posted from Mid Wales where street lighting is VERY unusual

I was the one who started that previous thread as I found them very off putting as well, they are a little stronger than ambient. There were a few helpful suggestions but in the end I just stuck some tape over them to block them out. I found a pale tape at work so that it did not stand out and that did the job. Not clever or sophisticated but it did work.

Really, and would you care to share your source of this information?

Sorry, but utter rubbish!!

As has been suggested, use the rheostat to turn them down.

Posted from Mid Wales where street lighting is VERY unusual

ok u turn your interior courtesy light on and proceed to drive around at night, i can assure you , it is an offence....as for turning them down i cant do( S model),,so no reowhatsitname :no:

I found that turning the dash display light down made very little difference to those two down lights so that is not something you are missing out on. More to the point I quite like having a decent clarity on the dials display. If only they worked separately........

ok u turn your interior courtesy light on and proceed to drive around at night, i can assure you , it is an offence....as for turning them down i cant do( S model),,so no reowhatsitname emoticon-0145-shake.gif

Interior courtesy lights are not the same as ambient lighting which you were originally talking about, which is perfectly legal !!!! Courtesy lights can be turned on and off, ambient lighting is on, and this applies :

Reg 11 (2) Road Vehicles Lighting Regs 1989 :"No vehicle shall show other than a red light to the rear other than to illuminate the interior of a vehicle...."

Its not illegal matey sorry !!

Edited by redandwhitepauly

ok u turn your interior courtesy light on and proceed to drive around at night, i can assure you , it is an offence....as for turning them down i cant do( S model),,so no reowhatsitname :no:

Lee,

I'm sorry but unless you can find me some proof of that in either the C & U regs, or the Vehicle Lighting Regs or anywhere else, I say you are talking rubbish, and probably believing another urbam myth. In another thread elsewhere in the non specific area I posted a link to the Vehicle Lighting Regs which I read thoroughly, and NO where is this mentioned.

How do you think road rally navigators manage to read their maps?

If these lights were illegal how do you think so many manufacturers have managed to get them through the Type Approval system?

news to me and ive been driving since 1901 lol....summat u learn everyday, my last car a focus had ambient lighting but it certainly was as obvious at night as the 2 white lights as mentioned at the start' ...as for rally stages then yeah thats obvious they need to READ A MAP!.....so sorry if anyone thinks im talking rubbish...its something ive been led to believe is true since been a child and thats many many years ago :dull:

If an accident occurred and the driver claimed that he/she was blinded by the interior lights then Mr Plod would take a dim viewemoticon-0136-giggle.gif of this and a charge would surely follow. This is why manufacturers are very careful how they position interior lights.

The Yeti is a good example of properly located lighting.

Yes I agree which is why I think the regs are worded so that there should be nothing obscuring the correct lights to be seen from the front and rear of the vehicle and rules about blue lights etc, but the same regs are more concerned with the main lighting of the car and what that can and cannot do, and height of foglights etc

news to me and ive been driving since 1901 lol....summat u learn everyday, my last car a focus had ambient lighting but it certainly was as obvious at night as the 2 white lights as mentioned at the start' ...as for rally stages then yeah thats obvious they need to READ A MAP!.....so sorry if anyone thinks im talking rubbish...its something ive been led to believe is true since been a child and thats many many years ago :dull:

Lee, note I specified ROAD rally, which is quite different to stage rallying. Takes place around the lanes after 12300 at night.

Yes I agree which is why I think the regs are worded so that there should be nothing obscuring the correct lights to be seen from the front and rear of the vehicle and rules about blue lights etc, but the same regs are more concerned with the main lighting of the car and what that can and cannot do, and height of foglights etc

I know when I was going through the Vehicle Lighting Regs on that other thread I did find some reference to internal illumination, other than the one previously noted, but can't find it now.

What we forget is that all vehicles now have to be Type Approved, not just here, but in Europe and elsewhere and it is extremely unlikely that any manufacturer would even try to market a vehicle that didn't pass TA. In fact I doubt they could! The problem is someone hears something said down the pub, and this gets repeated and eventually becomes "lore" but with no standing. How many times have you heard that you can't pass the MOT without a spare, or that the spare has to be fully legal? Totally unfounded as the spare isn't even looked at!!

I know when I was going through the Vehicle Lighting Regs on that other thread I did find some reference to internal illumination, other than the one previously noted, but can't find it now.

What we forget is that all vehicles now have to be Type Approved, not just here, but in Europe and elsewhere and it is extremely unlikely that any manufacturer would even try to market a vehicle that didn't pass TA. In fact I doubt they could! The problem is someone hears something said down the pub, and this gets repeated and eventually becomes "lore" but with no standing. How many times have you heard that you can't pass the MOT without a spare, or that the spare has to be fully legal? Totally unfounded as the spare isn't even looked at!!

Schhh dont start something else lol !!!

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

• 4 years later...

Oops sorry posted in wrong thread..

Meant to be in the annoying led interior light thing.

If moderator could delete post this would be most grateful.

Cheers

J

Edited by crazyj
  • Like 2