Just ordered Roomster in France

pankergan

Hello

My family have lived in rural Brittany, France, for 4 years. After buying and re-registering several older UK cars we have had enough of paying repair bills month on month (plus one great 20yr old LHD AX). We have finally decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a new LHD fully warrented car. Having searched the internet, talked to friends and family and a few test drives later we reached the conclusion that this car is the best on the market for out needs.

We went to the dealership this morning with my very picky, car aware, father. I wanted a Fabia but when all things considered, we are trading in our van on the scrapage scheme and we have so many friends and family visiting by air, the Roomster won hands down.

My husband, who speaks fluent French, managed to get a really good deal on one Rmstr but it was in black. Unfortunately it looks just like the funeral cars that they use here. I did the woman thing and said no. He then showed us 2009 model that has no km's on the clock. I like the colour - anthracite - but it lacked something. Looked at the other cars there and realised that is was the roofbars. We asked him how much extra and he said 700 euro so I did the French shrug. He then reduced it to 500 euro so we asked him how it would alter the monthly re-payments he originally quoted, apparently it wouldn't!!! He just wanted rid of that car and we are having it.

My only concern is how does the car handle in snow. It may seem a silly question but last winter it snowed so much my husband couldn't get back to the UK for his mother's funeral and also had to take three weeks off work. My parents bought me a LR Disco which is now in pieces whilst my husband fits a new clutch. We also have a Jeep Grand Cheokee that we plan to sell. Last winter was freaky as the weather here is like Cornwall normally. Assuming 'normal' winters, how does this car handle. I may keep the Disco as back-up.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to being a Skoda owner.

I think you'll enjoy your roomster as much as the fabia, what engine have you gone for? I would think that the roomster will be ok in the winter but if your worried about it have you considered a second set of wheels with winter tyres, ones with snow and mud markings may be good if you live in rural france where the roads could get a bit messy.

Roomster is fantastic especially if you have to carry children. It rides very well and it is really more than a family car in quite small dimensions. It fits well in the city roads and travels safely in really high speeds at highways.

Last winter was extreme but I was only once stuck at home when the snow had been impacted then froze overnight to a glass like surface. Even then later the same day when the sun had been out a while I was able to drive out. Normal weather is no problem and I also tow a caravan.

Fred

Edited by g6zru

Well done, good choice. Get the larger diesel for the best performance, economy and traction in snow. You will need winter tyres for extreme weather, and it does not have the ground clearance of a 4X4 but its quite easy to drive with all that weight on the front wheels. Really its no different from any other FWD car and Skodas manage to work all the way through Polish and Czeck winters which are always bitter and very cold. You will only have problems if the snow is too deep.

I dont have roofbars and dont miss them. The boot is capacious. However anthracite is by far the nicest colour - mine is silver but I am quite jealous.

As to the ride, its not like a French car, but loaded up it rides and handles extremely well. Empty, it rides more like a hot hatch, but actually corners like one too. You can really hustle this car on a twisty road, much to the surprise of some supposedly sporty car drivers.

Finally, congratulations for living in such a nice location. I was in Concarneau for a wedding last year and have friends near Dinan. Yet to explore further south, but fancy visiting Vannes next time.

Steve

Hello

My family have lived in rural Brittany, France, for 4 years. After buying and re-registering several older UK cars we have had enough of paying repair bills month on month (plus one great 20yr old LHD AX). We have finally decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a new LHD fully warrented car. Having searched the internet, talked to friends and family and a few test drives later we reached the conclusion that this car is the best on the market for out needs.

We went to the dealership this morning with my very picky, car aware, father. I wanted a Fabia but when all things considered, we are trading in our van on the scrapage scheme and we have so many friends and family visiting by air, the Roomster won hands down.

My husband, who speaks fluent French, managed to get a really good deal on one Rmstr but it was in black. Unfortunately it looks just like the funeral cars that they use here. I did the woman thing and said no. He then showed us 2009 model that has no km's on the clock. I like the colour - anthracite - but it lacked something. Looked at the other cars there and realised that is was the roofbars. We asked him how much extra and he said 700 euro so I did the French shrug. He then reduced it to 500 euro so we asked him how it would alter the monthly re-payments he originally quoted, apparently it wouldn't!!! He just wanted rid of that car and we are having it.

My only concern is how does the car handle in snow. It may seem a silly question but last winter it snowed so much my husband couldn't get back to the UK for his mother's funeral and also had to take three weeks off work. My parents bought me a LR Disco which is now in pieces whilst my husband fits a new clutch. We also have a Jeep Grand Cheokee that we plan to sell. Last winter was freaky as the weather here is like Cornwall normally. Assuming 'normal' winters, how does this car handle. I may keep the Disco as back-up.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to being a Skoda owner.