Airbag warning light

Hi all - first posting, so go easy...

Happy with my '05 2.0 diesel Ambiente since buying it a year ago (barring crappy radio reception). However, the MOT is about due and the airbag warning light has come on on the dash :¬(

I've checked the airbag fuse - it's not that. Any other ideas? Will it fail the MOT on this?

Cheers

Steve

Hi all - first posting, so go easy...

Happy with my '05 2.0 diesel Ambiente since buying it a year ago (barring crappy radio reception). However, the MOT is about due and the airbag warning light has come on on the dash :¬(

I've checked the airbag fuse - it's not that. Any other ideas? Will it fail the MOT on this?

Cheers

Steve

Fault will poss be either passanger side or drivers side seat wiring fault, you could do with getting it scaned but we see this fault alot, its only a matter of re wiring the seat loom to the floor and clearing the fault. Mot wise not a fail it would just get an advise issued

Fault will poss be either passanger side or drivers side seat wiring fault, you could do with getting it scaned but we see this fault alot, its only a matter of re wiring the seat loom to the floor and clearing the fault. Mot wise not a fail it would just get an advise issued

Cheers Sherlock - I'll have look at that tomorrow !

Thanks

Cheers Sherlock - I'll have look at that tomorrow !

Thanks

Sorry i didnt make myself very clear you wont see a fault, what causes it is a higher than normal resistance in the seat loom conectors thus putting your airbag warning light on, you would need to get it scanned to find out which side is at fault then hard wire the seat loom doing away with the seat loom connector at the floor, Hope this makes a little more sense. Phil. P.S. where are you based?

Sorry i didnt make myself very clear you wont see a fault, what causes it is a higher than normal resistance in the seat loom conectors thus putting your airbag warning light on, you would need to get it scanned to find out which side is at fault then hard wire the seat loom doing away with the seat loom connector at the floor, Hope this makes a little more sense. Phil. P.S. where are you based?

A mate has a diagnostics box and he didn't find any fault codes with that (mind you, he uses it exclusively on Fords, so might have mucked it up). If there are no fault codes reported, will it still be the seat loom?

Based in Dorset BTW.

Steve

A mate has a diagnostics box and he didn't find any fault codes with that (mind you, he uses it exclusively on Fords, so might have mucked it up). If there are no fault codes reported, will it still be the seat loom?

Based in Dorset BTW.

Steve

Sounds like issues with the diagnostic equipment. If the light is on there should be a code stored. Try using VAGCOM/VCDS instead.

Definitely not an MOT failure as SWMBOs Focus passed MOT with airbag light on a couple of months ago

The Ford diagnositcs tool will probably only read OBDII codes from the engine on other makes, you need a tool which supports the VAG specific controllers such as VCDS or VAS to talk to the air bag system.

If the fault turns out to be the wiring loom and you manage to fix it physically, you will still need the diagnostic tool to clear the DTCs and reset the airbag system.

BTW as a safety precaution I would disconnect the battery before messing with any of the airbag system wiring.

Yup,air bags not part of the mot test. :thumbup: would of thought they will be one day soon though. :)

I'm not so sure, what about cars that never had airbag systems? So they'd get an MOT but a car with them fitted but not working would fail?

Until its mandatory that every car on the road has to have airbags I cant see how its enforceable.

If they ever do add it to the mot it would probably only be a warning light check & basic visual inspection,it would only be like testing a car with abs,some models have it,others dont,its been 10 years since i was a mot tester in civvy street,i have worked for the mod last 13 years as a vehicle examiner/mechanic & we have to inspect as per vosa manual but im a bit out of touch with modern stuff! :)

Not wanting to cause an argument, sherlocks VRS, but I was speaking to an MOT tester about just this very problem earlier today -- it's not even an advisory, as airbags and SRS systems are not covered in any shape or form as part of the MOT test.

Mike

I am a "mot" tester and and i know airbags aren't part of a test but the advisory can be issued for none testable items as common decency to let the customer know they have a poss fault on there car. You can advise on anything on a vehicle as you have a "manual advisory section" where you can write anything you like!

Edited by sherlocks VRS

I am a "mot" tester and and i know airbags aren't part of a test but the advisory can be issued for none testable items as common decency to let the customer know they have a poss fault on there car. You can advise on anything on a vehicle as you have a "manual advisory section" where you can write anything you like!

Passed MoT OK - no mention of airbag light.

Cheers all - hope I get time to check out the suggestions on this thread to sort it.

PS - I assume the airbag will still go off when I crash????