Help on uppdating telephone book on Columbus

My telephone a Sony Eriksson k800i has been mated to my Columbus and is performing without any hitch. However I've made some changes in the telephone book and naturally wanted my Columbus to update these changes.

According tothe instructions manuel this should be rather simple. One goes to set up on the columbus and than one presses telephone. At this time a question should appear asking "Do you want to (load) update the telephone book"

HOWEVER this is missing from my unit. Instead I get up three other alternatives. One alternative is "reset to factory settings" The other two alternatives are not related to udating the telephone book

Does anyone have an idea of why my unit appears to have been programed differently?

Sounds like you're in the wrong section of the menu. You need to be in the "Settings" part of the telephone menu, where you can choose:

• Phone book
  • Update
  • Select memory
  • SIM & phone (SIM & Mobile phone)
  • SIM card
  • Mobile phone

Ray

Thank you for your reply! Next question; how do I get to the settings part of the telephone menu???

If you select the Telephone (Phone) menu using the thumbwheel, you should then see a menu containing:

• Phone book
  • Dial number
  • Call register
  • Voice mailbox
  • Settings
  • Back

Ray

Thanks again but it didn't work. Using the scrolling wheel on the steering wheel did get me to phone but when I go in here I get up

missed calls, last calls, phone book and one other item. The was no setting, bluetooth, voice mail etc

It's becoming more and more of a mystery

The menu only appears when the phone is actively paired.

Ray

It was! As a matter of fact the telephone is working quite well with the unit and as soon as I sit in the car it pairs within 30 seconds.

Interestingly I think I noticed one anamily. The phone book visible with the help of the scrolling wheel has been updated but not the one on the columbus

It was!

OK - here are the steps, with pictures (albeit of poor quality, due to ambient lighting):

1) Pair the 'phone.

pp01.jpg

2) Press the thumbwheel, at which point you get this menu. Scroll down to "Settings"

pp02.jpg

3) As in this picture:

pp03.jpg

4) Press the thumbwheel. Press it again when on "Phonebook" as in this picture:

pp04.jpg

5) Choose "Update" press thumbwheel again.

pp05.jpg

Select "Back" from each menu level until you return to the MFD. Job done! :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

You sure made that look easy. A BIG thank you. As I mentioned I have tried the scroll wheel after my phone was already coupled to the unit. The menus you show do not show on my maxidot window.

My only chance is that maybe I need to press the the botton as soon as the telephone pairing shows up in maxidot. When ever I look at maxidot (after the tel. has paired) it doesn't show my phones name.

Do you always see Vodfone UK?.

Do you always see Vodfone UK?

Yes, they're my network provider. My mobile is named "Ray," to differentiate it from my wife's mobile. Therefore, you should see your mobile's name (or the default if you didn't change it), plus your network provider.

When I get in the car and switch on, after the dials have stopped dancing, the MFD shows "Connecting to User," followed by "Initialising phone," then I get what you see in my first pic. At that point, if I press the thumbwheel (i.e., don't turn it, just press it), I get the menu in the second pic and so on. HTH :)

Ray

Yes, they're my network provider. My mobile is named "Ray," to differentiate it from my wife's mobile. Therefore, you should see your mobile's name (or the default if you didn't change it), plus your network provider.

When I get in the car and switch on, after the dials have stopped dancing, the MFD shows "Connecting to User," followed by "Initialising phone," then I get what you see in my first pic. At that point, if I press the thumbwheel (i.e., don't turn it, just press it), I get the menu in the second pic and so on. HTH :)

Ray

Hi It's a new day now but my telephone book is still old.

Like you, when I start my car I get a messge, "connecting to carter (my and my tel.name)" Pressing the thumbwheel at that moment or after that time brings up a simple menu and not the menu you get up.

Do you have any other ideas?

On the columbus with my phone paired, I can press settings and then select Telephone. The top option on the columbus screen is then "Update Telephone Book".

Rebooting columbus will have no effect, since the bluetooth system is external from the columbus, in fact you can still access the bluetooth through the MFD even when the columbs is disconnected and removed from the car (you just cannot hear anything).

On the columbus with my phone paired, I can press settings and then select Telephone. The top option on the columbus screen is then "Update Telephone Book".

Rebooting columbus will have no effect, since the bluetooth system is external from the columbus, in fact you can still access the bluetooth through the MFD even when the columbs is disconnected and removed from the car (you just cannot hear anything).

Hi Mannyo, If I press setting and than telephone I do get up a short menu but no update choice. And altough I know I am coupled via bluetooth I can't find bluetooth mentioned in any menu. I did contact my dealer today but their "Columbus" expert was out having a baby!!

Congardulations to him and his wife!!! Being we live in Sweden I have no idea when he'll be back at work!

I take it you are all using Sony Erricson K800i yes ??? this phone has RSAP meaning remote sim access protocol. Your phone has to have this setting to see the full phone menu in the maxidot display. I have an Iphone and it pairs in 10 sec when i switch on car and updates my phonebook every time but i dont have the option of messages, bluetooth etc in maxidot display.... hope dat helped

I take it you are all using Sony Erricson K800i yes ??? this phone has RSAP meaning remote sim access protocol. Your phone has to have this setting to see the full phone menu in the maxidot display. I have an Iphone and it pairs in 10 sec when i switch on car and updates my phonebook every time but i dont have the option of messages, bluetooth etc in maxidot display.... hope dat helped

This is interesting. We are talking about K800i. I believe this phone does have RSAP but it also has BT. I wonder how these two protocols are related? Do they do the same thing?

In any case I'm sitting in my office and I just checked the BT info in the phone and it is listing Skoda_BT as a connection. I cannot find rsap in any menu. Where is it hiding?

This is interesting. We are talking about K800i. I believe this phone does have RSAP but it also has BT. I wonder how these two protocols are related? Do they do the same thing?

In any case I'm sitting in my office and I just checked the BT info in the phone and it is listing Skoda_BT as a connection. I cannot find rsap in any menu. Where is it hiding?

rSAP is a bluetooth profile witch makes it possible for a GSM unit to make use of a SIM-card in another device via bluetooth. This means that the car has a GSM unit built in that uses your SIM-card in the telephone via bluetooth.

/P

rSAP is a bluetooth profile witch makes it possible for a GSM unit to make use of a SIM-card in another device via bluetooth. This means that the car has a GSM unit built in that uses your SIM-card in the telephone via bluetooth.

/P

So what you are basically saying is that when you connect using rsap then the phone uses the external ariel on the car and the cars own GSM (effectivly a mobile phone built in to car ) to get info from your phone which it uses to make the calls etc (also hence the reason why its not compatible with the 3 network)

this i would also suggest means that signal strength is stronger etc

Andy

So what you are basically saying is that when you connect using rsap then the phone uses the external ariel on the car and the cars own GSM (effectivly a mobile phone built in to car ) to get info from your phone which it uses to make the calls etc (also hence the reason why its not compatible with the 3 network)

this i would also suggest means that signal strength is stronger etc

Andy

In a word, yes :).

The other consequence is that the mobile device also loses its data connectivity (the cellular radio is off) which I think is one of the reasons that Apple are not implementing rSAP on the iPhone.

Best regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Greeting and thanks to everyone who gave me advice . I now have an update, in case you are curious, regarding the problem of trying to update my phone book from my Sony Ericsson K800i to my Columbus unit.

I have now been to the dealer twice. The first time they agreed with me that there was no way to do an update and further that my Columbus/bluetooth does not have the menu that so many of you others have, that simplifies updating.

Thety did however, have some cars where that menu is visible!

They than ran the computor to check for updates but it seems I have the most current update (not quite sure I believe this).

It seems the only way an update can be done is run "factory settings" (for the phone menu on the Columbus) and with a clean slate reinstall the phone.

• 3 years later...

I've been responding to the Bolero 'update available' with ok but nothing seems to happen.

But the phone book is in it but corrupted.

I'll try thumb wheel options when I get out of bed having had my coffee.....still reading posts. :-))))

Will advise soon.

Ta